MacOS and Lightroom CC export issues

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone! 

I am strugling with Lightroom photo export and MacOS. Basically the export of the photos works well, but if I check the creation date or modification dates on my MacOS they are overwritten by the actual day:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-27 um 15.42.42.png

German: Änderungsdatum = Modification date & Erstellungsdatum = Creation Date & heute = today

When I check one of the files with the Exiftool I am getting the folowing results:

Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-27 um 15.44.35.png

The thing is, I could use the exiftool everytime when exporting files, but its not a good solution, its just a workaround. 

When I am trying to import this exported files again to LR the software doesn't recognize that all of this files are already on my database and they will be imported againg --> that's a mess!

Do you have any solution for that? In LR I tried everything I could....

Many thanks!

Alex

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Nov 27, 2020
Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional , Nov 27, 2020
This is a limitation of the operating system and expected. When you export a file, the file creation date and modification date will become the date and time this completely new file was created. It will not be the exif capture time of the image. This is a new file with all your edits baked in. It is not your original image. The operating system does not show you the date and time the original image was recorded in camera. Finder does not read this metadata. You can see this metadata in preview ...

Translate

Translate
Jump to answer Jump to answer
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a limitation of the operating system and expected. When you export a file, the file creation date and modification date will become the date and time this completely new file was created. It will not be the exif capture time of the image. This is a new file with all your edits baked in. It is not your original image. The operating system does not show you the date and time the original image was recorded in camera. Finder does not read this metadata. You can see this metadata in preview or other photo oriented apps.

Lightroom will import these files indeed and not recognize them as duplicates as doing so would cause enormous problems for most people's workflows. It would for example start recognizing Photoshop edits of your images as duplicates which you don't want. Also many people automatically import every exported file into Lightroom to have them as a fast available copy to send around when needed. The duplicate recognition that Lightroom employs looks at all metadata including the capture time but also the file creation and modification times. If any of those are different it will not recognize it as a duplicate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

thank you. I see the point and I think that I just need to axcept this fact, nevertheless I don't like it. As far as I remember I have never seen something like that on a Win system and I thought that it could be possible to change some settings to get what I want. 

Many thanks,

Alex

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My pleasure. As far as I know, windows systems do the same thing. The operating system file creation date and time for exports is the time the export happened. I think it is possible in explorer on windows to show the exif capture time metadata but it is not a normal thing to show and certainly exported files on windows will not be seen as duplicates of files already in the lightroom catalog if you try to import them so they will simply be imported.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One approach to try, may be to tell LrC to call something like ExifTool, in the postprocessing section of the export settings. For example: appending the right commandline options for Exiftool might mean it's able to alter each new export file's creation date, to match whatever capture date metadata has just been attached to it by LrC.

Another approach may be to use a photo-aware means of viewing these exports, which knows to read and show this capture-date metadata rather than referring to the (usually accidental) file creation or modification date.

A third approach is to set Renaming as part of your LR export, so as to add the photo capture date at the beginning of the new export's filename. Then you can directly see capture date, and sort by that, based on the file naming alone. A standard date scheme such as YYYY-MM-DD sorts chronologically by default. (A side advantage of this renaming of exports, is that this immediately distinguishes them from imported originals, which would show no date at the beginning of their own filenames.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One reason this is a problem on the Mac is that on the desktop, Windows lets you enable sorting folder contents by Date Taken (this is not displayed by default), but macOS doesn’t have that option, so you can sort only by file Creation Date.

macOS-Windows-folder-display-sort-Date-options.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines