• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making outside edit to original image- LR doesn't show changes?

New Here ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a beginner user scanning 35mm negatives and importing them into LR and still finding a proper workflow. I understand the software is only a reference catalog to the original image. I want to remove film  scratches and such with PS but find the process quite tedious.

I tried to first import the images into LR and then from the software use the "edit in Photoshop function". This seems to work but upon saving the image in PS and closing the software the edited images automatically import into LR as a new image instead of replacing the previous image. Of course I can then delete the previous non-edited image but it doesn't seem too elegant especially if the edits are applied to a new image than LR creates upon export (as I understand it does when using the edit in Photoshop function).

I then tried to edit the actual original file in PS outside LR and saved it. I can't get the image with the edits to update in LR. I thought that the point of LR is that it references the actual original file? 

So in order to get around that I have to export the photo from LR (if I happen to have made edits in it), edit the image in PS, delete the LR image, then reimport the edited image? Sounds quite tedious. 

I guess what I'm asking is am I missing something in terms of a re-sync/update button that would get LR to notice the changes I just made to the image? 

The obvious solution to this is to scan (and edit in the scanner software) -> PS edit out all the scratches etc. -> then AND ONLY THEN at the last phase bring the image into LR as a management software utility. Sometimes you miss things and need to fix something afterwards however.. 

Thanks for your help. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I import a JPG photo into LR, and then edit the original with some outside program and save (by overwriting the original, so the saved version with the edits has the same file name and in the same folder), then the edits appear in Lightroom.

So perhaps you are not doing it right. Please tell us the file type of these photos you have scanned. Please tell us the exact step-by-step procedure you are using, in detail, leaving nothing out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I scan with Silverfast and export as a TIFF file onto a Mac folder. Afterwards I open this file in PS and use the spot healer tool to remove blemishes and scratches. Save that. Then import into LR. That's the basic ideal. 

So it happens that I missed a scratch on the photo subjects face and need to go back and remove this in PS. I open the original file from the Mac folder in PS -from outside LR. Save as.

Go back into LR - the change isn't visible, even after trying to press the sync button and restarting LR. Am I doing something wrong? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it happens that I missed a scratch on the photo subjects face and need to go back and remove this in PS. I open the original file from the Mac folder in PS -from outside LR. Save as.

Wrong. No Save As, that won't work. Do a plain old Save, overwrite the previous version of the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this with a TIF file rather than a JPG, and the external edits appear in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I saved overwriting the photo. I tried syncing and restarting LR with no success. Below I responded about posting this in the wrong section as I'm using LR not LR classic, apologies for that.  Even so your suggestion so far isn't working. Maybe there's a setting I'm missing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to dj_paige's suggestion, try the following and see if it works. If you have a rendered file i.e tiff, jpeg etc and select the edit in Photoshop option you should get a dialog box with three options. Choose the option shown in the dialog and after you have done your edits in Photoshop save the file. The original file will be changed.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 9.40.49 AM.png 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, upon right clicking the image in LR and clicking edit in photoshop the file opens in PS straight away - I don't get such a dialog. Maybe some setting wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Preferences, "reset all warning dialogs". This shows lots of helpful tips and warnings, you may have turned it off in error, some people find them annoying. Just saying.

See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 11.23.16 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel like a bit of an idiot as I just realized that I posted this under LR Classic where it appears that I am using LR. I gather this explains why I am not receiving the mentioned prompt and why I cannot find a setting menu resembling your screenshot. Apologies for the confusion. 

Nevertheless the problem still stands. Thanks for your help so far. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of saying "where it appears that I am using LR", tell us the version number of your Lightroom. Go to help->System Info and report what version number of Lightroom it says. (DO NOT COPY AND PASTE THE ENTIRE HELP->SYSTEM INFO, we just need the version number)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the version number: Lightroom version: 3.2 [ 20200204-0604-bc5e360 ] (Feb 4 2020).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes you need to post in the Lightroom forum and not in the Lightroom Classic forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines