• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Manipulated photos are in backup directory.

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have duplicate photos in my catalog (even though my import setting says no duplicates), and the ones I've manipulated are in a backup directory: WD4t/Barbs/Old/Lightroom/Backups/2018-09-13 1737/2018/08-31. What can I do about this? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need screen shots of what you are asking about.

Need more info on what exactly are you doing. 

LR does not move or copy images by itself. In fact LR never Copies images from one folder on your drive to another. It will only Move images and that takes User Input, Highlighting a group of images and Draging them from the folder they are in to another folder.

It also does not move or copy images you manipulated by itself. The only time you can create a copy of an image is by Exporting it and gain there are User Options as to where those export images get stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid a screen shot won't help. I think a backup effort when I changed drives might have created the problem. My question is, since the good images are in a Lightroom/Backup folder should I take the old ones out and replace them with the backup copies. Any problem with doing this? Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What is and where is this backup directory you write about?

If it is a subfolder called Backups under the folder your catalog is stored in that is just the catalog backups and does not contain your images. There are no actual images in the LrC Catalog file.

PLEASE Post Screen Shots of what you are seeing on your computer.

As Tony states it could be the Capitalisation problem or it may not be. Without you posting screen shot of what you are seeing we can't tell or give proper advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might be called the an example of the 'Capitalisation problem'.
Basically, what happens is that you have two different user folders, one called 'Alan' and the other one called 'alan'. In other words, the names are the same, except for the capitalisation. Because MacOS is case-insensitive, it sees those two folders as one and the same folder and so it deals with this without you even being aware of it. But Lightroom is case-sensitive, so Lightroom does see two different folders.

Most likely, your 'real' user folder (the one you see in the Finder) is 'Alan', so you have to merge the other one (but check this first). Here's how to do that:
1. Backup your catalog.
2. Create a folder directly on Macintosh HD, call it whatever you want, say "Capitals Fix".
3. Right-click on the "alan" folder in the Lightroom Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location". In the file browser that then opens, browse to and select the "Capitals Fix" folder.
4. Don't be alarmed as the 'alan' folder will disappear from the Folders Panel, "Capitals Fix" will appear but all the sub-folders that were listed under 'alan' will now have "?" marks.
5. Now right-click on "Capitals Fix" in the Folders Panel, and again choose "Update Folder Location". This time browse to and select the "Alan" folder. You may get a "Merge" dialog box, select "Merge" and everything should resolve itself.
Could this apply to you Barb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Tony for your detailed response. Merging sounds scary! Not sure what it means that the photos are in a Backup directory. Is that different.? If the good images are in a Lightroom/Backup folder can I take the old ones out and just replace them with the backup copies. Any problem with doing this? Thanks for your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines