• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Map module dragging images is HIGHLY inaccurate

Participant ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my clients is a company that sell space on advertising displays.  I photograph the displays for them, it is often difficult in the photographs to tell which display is which so I need to accurately GPS tag the images.

Today is the first time I have manually geotagged images since the LR Classic upgrade, and LR is no longer placing the pins where I drop the images.

Map module error.jpg

Take a look at the image above and you will see the problem.  I have 11 different locations I need tag within that shopping centre,  The level of accuracy that LR is proving is not acceptable to me (nor my client).   I used to be able to do this very accurately so that my client and I could very quickly identify which image relates to which location in the shopping centre.

I have confirmed that the GPS coordinates that are embedded in the image relate to where the pin is shown NOT to where I dropped the image.

Can anyone help, please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

LR 6 has an unresolved bug with dragging photos to the map on Windows high-resolution displays: Lightroom 6: Photo placed in wrong spot on map | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  More likely than not, that bug has continued into LR 7 (Classic), which is really just an incremental release to LR 6.  Please add complete details of your issue, including screenshots and copy/paste of Help > System Info, and click Me Too at the top: Lightroom 6: Photo placed in wrong spot on map | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This probably has something to do with how Google refers to the address of where you dropped the image. The actual address of that center might be where Google placed the pin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never had this problem in Lightroom. And furthermore I am not having this problem in Lightroom Classic CC.

So please tell us: are you using a wired mouse, or a wireless mouse, or not even using a mouse and using some other type of pointing device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Just Shoot Me

I don't think that is the case I've just tried placing a pin in a different part of the city to check that out.  Here's what happened:

Map module error2.jpg

As you can see, I have zoomed out and the pin is literally miles away from where I dropped the image.

@ dj_paige

The problem occurs using both the mouse (yes it is wireless) and using my Wacom bamboo tablet (not wireless).  I have tried restarting LR too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try a wired mouse?

As I said, I don't have this problem with Lightroom Classic CC and a wired mouse. Also, I am using Windows 10, what is your operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10.  I don't have a wired mouse - haven't used one for years.  And I never had the problem prior to LR7.  Also I have no other mouse issues in any other app so I find that hard to believe (but wouldn't rule it out).  As I said the problem still happens using the Wacom which is wired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 6 has an unresolved bug with dragging photos to the map on Windows high-resolution displays: Lightroom 6: Photo placed in wrong spot on map | Photoshop Family Customer Community .  More likely than not, that bug has continued into LR 7 (Classic), which is really just an incremental release to LR 6.  Please add complete details of your issue, including screenshots and copy/paste of Help > System Info, and click Me Too at the top: Lightroom 6: Photo placed in wrong spot on map | Photoshop Family Customer Community

That bug report also contains workarounds, but you have to read through the thread carefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, johnrellis​ - that is indeed it.  I changed my font size, round about the same time as I installed LR7.  So I have two workrounds.  Change the font size or the ctrl-click method outlined in the post you linked to.

I have added my experiences to that thread and clicked the 'me too' button. 

Ian.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also use the freeware program GeoSetter (which is what I use most of the time unless I have only 2 or 3 images to geotag, then I do it in Lightroom). GeoSetter has a nicer interface (in my opinion) and it may not have this particular bug.

To use GeoSetter with Lightroom, you need to turn on the option in Lightroom Edit->Catalog Settings->Metadata and check the box next to Automatically Write Changes into XMP. Then launch GeoSetter, geotag your images, and then in Lightroom use Metadata->Read Metadata from File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with LR CC v9.0 installed on a brand new computer (Lenovo Ideapad Flex 15.6"). I am using the built-in mouse/touchpad. The workaround I use it is to place the pointer at the right location, right click and select "Add GPS Coordinates".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the solution. The Lenovo Ideapad Flex defaults the Scale & Layout Setting under Display Settings to 125%. Lenovo warns that some apps may not work if the setting is changed. I changed the setting to 100% and now drag-and-drop images from the Filmstrip to the map works perfectly!!! Not sure why the Mp module accuracy is dependent on the display magnification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't they fix this problem? I like my monitor set at 175%. But to place photos on the map, I have to set the monitor to 150% or 200%. That's simply STUPID!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for explaining how to fix it. But Adobe should really do something about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2022 May 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bravo... this was driving me made, thanks.

Honestly, this is the inherent problem with Agile design. Nothing ever fully works and nothing ever really gets fixed until the sky is falling and thousands of people complain... so... keep speaking up... crap like this, I'll often find the board of directors and ceo and yell them out. I am tired of companies putting out sub-par software... software that's been released for decades and never really, still, works properly... not engineering... its a "build it now fix it later attitude". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For whoever is concern, I also have the same issue using LR CC 2020.   I just troubleshoot and it worked with my setup.  This might not work on yours.

(MS Surface Pro - screen off, 2 external monitor with different resolution (or size))

When LR is closed and opened on the same screen, I do not have any issue with drag dropping pictures to specific location on the map.  

If LR is moved from one screen to another or anything related, I will run into this drag and drop misplace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on Lightroom classic release 11.3.1 running on my Windows 10 desktop PC.  My Windows settings for the display scale and layout are 100%  using the recommended resolution of 1920 * 1200.   It would be nice to get this Adobe bug fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem with Lightroom Classic 12.4.  I am using a 4K monitor and Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2023 Aug 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You’ve posted to a very old thread. It is highly unlikely that the issue described in this thread, though not impossible, is the same issue which you are currently experiencing. Rather than resurrect an old thread that is seemingly similar, you are better posting to a new thread with fresh, complete information including system information, a complete description of the problem and step-by-step instructions for reproduction. 

In the unlikely event the issue is the same, we will merge you back into the appropriate location. 

Thank you!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines