Highlighted

Mask off an area and lighten the rest of the picture.

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to mask of an area and lighten the rest of the picture. For example, mask the bracelet and make everything in the picture light. But not lighten the bracelet. I am trying to make the background white/lighter while keeping the bracelet color the way they are. I have tried using the mask and painting around the bracelet but it always comes out looking fake.

20200610-20200610-DSC_4415.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

I have a very short video that shows the Gradient Tool working with Range Mask 'Color'-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp0nq2n27739jzr/Range%20Mask%20Trick.mp4?dl=0

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Mask off an area and lighten the rest of the picture.

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to mask of an area and lighten the rest of the picture. For example, mask the bracelet and make everything in the picture light. But not lighten the bracelet. I am trying to make the background white/lighter while keeping the bracelet color the way they are. I have tried using the mask and painting around the bracelet but it always comes out looking fake.

20200610-20200610-DSC_4415.jpg

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

I have a very short video that shows the Gradient Tool working with Range Mask 'Color'-

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom classic has much better masking tools (auto mask in particular)

On your image i tried doing it with light settings.   I increased whites, and highlights/contract to get close perhaps.

Export1234.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you painted around the bracelet using the mask, but you didn't use full white. I just want to make sure I understand. Thank you for the help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention that I am using Lightroom classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Advisor ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh; I did no painting; I was simply adjusting light sliders.

If you are using Classic then you can do it much better.  Use the paint tool with the auto mask turned on. It will help you stay "inside the lines".  Paint the area you want white avoiding the bracelet; then simply adjust the exposure of the painted area up.    If you get some paint on the bracelet use the eraser to unpaint it.  Prss the "O" on the keyboard to see where you painted

This is the Lightroom Cloudy version forum btw

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Classic then it's possible to use color range masking.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will have to look up color range masking. I am a newbie and I am not sure what it is. If you happen to know a good tutorial that would be great.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

Real simple using a Graduated Filter dragged off the canvas so it's applied to the whole image using a Luminance Range Mask. Follow steps 1-5.

Luminance Range Mask.jpg

Discover how to make precise adjustments using the new Color and Luminance Range Masking in Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom Classic CC: https://adobe.ly/2gNc...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 3
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will try this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd_Shaner I could use a little help with this. When I select the Graduated filter my screen looks different than your. The range mask is off and greyed out. How do I turn that on? And what is step 2 doing please? I appreciate the help. I have been struggling with white backgrounds forever.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the Graduated filter my screen looks different than your. The range mask is off and greyed out. How do I turn that on? And what is step 2 doing please?

After clicking on the Graduated Filter (Step 1) hover the cursor over the right side of the canvas. Next (Step 2) hold down the left mouse button and drag the cursor slightly to the right. If necessary straighten or move the Graduated filter so that the three lines are not touching the canvas as in my screenshot. This will apply the Graduated filter uniformally across the whole image. I suggest watching the video at the link I provided if you are still having trouble. Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFuHYJvBXIQ

Discover how to make precise adjustments using the new Color and Luminance Range Masking in Lightroom Classic CC. Lightroom Classic CC: https://adobe.ly/2gNc...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 0
Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The video was great. Nice and easy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2020 0