Highlighted

Maximize Compatibility not working for me in PS 2020 classic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Maximize Compatibility set to always in Photoshop.  Yet if I open the psd file in Lightroom, even without making changes, and select Edit in Photoshop 2020 from the right click menu in LR, it comes into PS missing all the layers it formerly had.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm on Win 10.

Richard
TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Maximize Compatibility not working for me in PS 2020 classic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Maximize Compatibility set to always in Photoshop.  Yet if I open the psd file in Lightroom, even without making changes, and select Edit in Photoshop 2020 from the right click menu in LR, it comes into PS missing all the layers it formerly had.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm on Win 10.

Richard
TOPICS
How to, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What option are you selecting in the Open dialog box when sending to Ps?

Edit a Copy w/LrC adjustments?

Edit a Copy?

Edit Original?

Only with the Edit Original will you get the layers. The other 2 options are kind of Self Explanatory, Edit A COPY

The copy of the image file will be a Flattened version.

2020-09-06 08_39_51-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Explained below.  but I get it now and understand what to do. Thanks!

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom does not support layers at all. This is the downside of a mixed workflow, and personally I prefer to stick with Photoshop for RGB files and Lightroom for raw files. For exactly this reason.

To work this way, you need a very disciplined workflow and thorough understanding of all the underlying mechanisms. See here (scroll down to the last four posts): https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/colour-not-matching-photoshop-to-lightroom/m-p/11408771?pag... 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have missed the point that even though LrC does not work, Display, layers from either PS PSD files ot Tiff files that does not mean you Lose the layer if and when you send either of those types of files back to PS.

The layers are still retained in the original PSD/TIF file. But if you Send a COPY of it back to Ps then all layers are Flattened in the COPY that is made.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that. I know the layers don't disappear.

I also know that it's possible to work this way, as long as you understand what's happening.

The point was that it's a very confusing workflow where a lot of non-intuitive things will happen, so I won't recommend it, and I don't see any reason to go there myself. If I need Lr/ACR adjustments on an RGB file - and I frequently do - I use the ACR filter in Photoshop.

(I should probably add here that we use DAM software at work, so I don't need the Lightroom keywording/collections/ratings etc on the master files. That's done elsewhere. If it wasn't, I'd probably keep my PSD masters in the Lr catalog just for that).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add (and maybe additionally clarify) to what was stated: IF you apply ANY edits from LR to a layered image, it must be flattened to apply said LR edits just to then render and open that data in Photoshop. If you select Edit original, LR simply hands off that original with the layers. Hand off anything (layered or not) that has LR edits,  a new rendered iteration is created and sent to Photoshop; without layers. Because as stated, LR doesn't support layers (with it's edits). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks all! I suspcted as much but this clears it up .  I was thinking about using ACR in PS.  And the link to https://lightroomkillertips.com/lightroom-handles-layered-photoshop-files/  was VERY helpful.

Much obliged!

Richard

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, in PS the layers can exist, but in LrC they will not show up individually, instead will act as a flattened image.

see:

https://lightroomkillertips.com/lightroom-handles-layered-photoshop-files/

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I beg to differ with some statements made in this thread- but if others see differently I can only suggest that there are differences between Macs and PCs (and earlier Lr versions!), and I seldom make complicated or extreme edits in Ps.

For clarity- when you are re-opening a TIFF/PSD file created from a raw file in Lightroom-Classic, the TIFF/PSD is always the “ORIGINAL”.  “Original” in this context no longer refers to the first RAW file that was sent to Photoshop. This is an important point to understand.

“Only with the Edit Original will you get the layers.”

“..if you Send a COPY of it (-the TIFF/PSD ‘Original’) back to Ps then all layers are Flattened in the COPY that is made.”

False.

Both options in the [Edit In] dialog- “Edit a Copy” and “Edit Original” will preserve the layers in Ps.

(Read the fine print in the dialog)

“IF you apply ANY edits from LR to a layered image, it must be flattened to apply said LR edits just to then render and open that data (the Lr edits) in Photoshop.”

True (to SEE the Lr edits in Photoshop).

However, two situations can occur-

1) If you re-open the layered file by [Edit Original]- you will not see the Lr edits applied, but the Lr edits are re-applied when the file returns to Lightroom. AND the Lr edit History is preserved.

2) If you re-open the layered file by [Edit a Copy]- you will not see the Lr edits applied, but the Lr edits are re-applied when the file returns to Lightroom. Lr edit History is lost.

Eg. In Lr I applied a B&W treatment to a colored TIFF file (edited in Ps with Hue & Text layers)-

ScreenShot120.jpg

[Edit a Copy]  (Lightroom edits will not be visible)

WobertC_0-1599431059342.png

The layered file in Ps does not show the Lr B&W edit. I added more text in Ps-

WobertC_1-1599431059358.png

The file when it returns to Lr has the B&W edit re-applied -

WobertC_2-1599431059368.png

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 1
Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. The Edit A Copy does send a Full Copy, including layers if there are any.

My Bad. Should of checked that before I made that statement.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2020 0