• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Merge to HDR not Working in Lightroom Classic 10

Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature was working fine until a couple of days ago, when it just stopped working. Tried with several sets of images. Tried reseting preferences. Didn't work. The dialog box opens and the progress bar works, but the merged image does not appear. I have been using this feature since it appeared and don't recall this happening before. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Yup, that screenshot confirms you've tripped over the duplicate-drive bug(s).   To fix that, for each drive, right-click one of the top-level folders and do Show Parent Folder; repeat that until you get to the root folder. Now you should be able to apply the recipe described in this article:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

Even though in your case, both instances of the drive appear to have names with the same case, this method should work to get rid of one of the

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

"Re. the suggested fix, I am not experiencing duplicate drives. I am experience duplicate drive names That is, the displayed contents on each of these "drives" is not the same."

Right. There is one physical drive but LR has created two drive entries in its catalog with the same name.  Some folders/files are placed under one drive entry, other folders/files under the other. This is a bug, and you can merge the two drive entries following the steps in the article I linked to.

[Use the blue rep

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update to above. The merged images are being created and appear in the same folder as the source images. The merged image just doesn't show up in LR Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here. Check that you do not have an active filter that may filter out the HDR DNG file.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what is going on. The HDR file is clearly not showing up in LR, anywhere. Plus, the last time I tried an HDR merge, I actually got an error message telling me the file would not show up in LR, which I had not been getting before. Also, Lightroom will not let me import the missing HDR files into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you get that error again, please post a screenshot of it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your Export settings and make sure the box for Include in this catalog is checked. Export one, ANY, image to make sure that box is checked and stays checked.

Now you are going to ask why would that matter. IMO when you call up these feature the images included are actually Exported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find these settings? The only export settings of which I am aware do not involve exporting to the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That option is in the top panel of the Export dialog, but like I said: this has nothing to do with Merge to HDR.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that. I have never had that checked. That doesn't make any sense. I don't want every image I export added to the catalog and it should have no bearing on the problem I am having. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While one would think that selecting the add to collection option in export would have nothing to do with merge photo, it does. This goes back several versions. In effect, when you merge, you are exporting. Used to have this problem, would sync after the merge, then someone in the older forum stated the above solution, did not argue, or debate, just tested, then accepted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm 99.99% sure that the images are not exported in a way that the export dialog is involved. I never add exported images to my catalog, and yet I can merge to HDR and/or panorama just fine.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try creating a fresh, empty catalog and merge from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"The HDR file is clearly not showing up in LR, anywhere. ... Lightroom will not let me import the missing HDR files into LR."

You don't say how you searched for the file. Triple-check the file isn't in the catalog:

1. Restart LR.

2. Select All Photographs.

3. Do Photo > Stacking > Expand All Stacks.

4. In the Library Filter bar, search for the HDR's filename using Text: Filename Starts With filename:

Untitled.png

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. You were right. The HDR files are being included in the catalog, but they are not appearing next to the source images, in the same folder as those. They are going into their own separate folders, which has never happened before and I have not changed any settings. Plus the process still occasionally puts the HDR file were it should go. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, I just noticed that the above also happened recently with several images I edited in Photoshop. These and the HDR images are showing up in folders that are located outside the master folders they should be going to. But it doesn't happen every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, actually, your Export Dialog, what is selected for Export Location? This did not affect Merge Photo in previous versions, but what if? That would be a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is even weirder than I thought. The files I mentioned above are in fact going to their correct folders, but the LR is showing them in completely separate folders, outside of any master folders. I am going to take a wild guess that this is some bug having to do with LR's new file system. However, I updated to LR Classic 10 shortly after it became available and only started experiencing this problem a few days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the folder the source images were in? Was it a folder, ir a collection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

"the last time I tried an HDR merge, I actually got an error message telling me the file would not show up in LR, which I had not been getting before. ... The HDR files are being included in the catalog, but they are not appearing next to the source images, in the same folder as those. They are going into their own separate folders"

Check if one of the photos being merged is in a different folder, in which case you'll get this message:

Untitled1.png

The merged photo will go into the folder of the most-selected photo.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is even weirder than I thought. The files I mentioned above are in fact going to their correct folders, but the LR is showing them in completely separate folders, outside of any master folders."

Please post a screenshot of the Folders panel showing the right and wrong folders. LR infrequently does get confused about folder names, in a few different scenarios, and the screenshot will help identify if you fall into one of the known scenarios (and the known workarounds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders circled in red are not where they should be. The images/folders should be in the above folders labeled Lightroom 1, 2, 3, etc.  Also, I do not know how folders 2013-12-31 and 2014-12-7 got here. They were originally in one of the above master folders, and when I try to move them back to these master folders, I get a message telling me the folder is already there, but it is not shown there in the catalog. Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 1.51.41 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, why is the catalog showing two drives with the same name, when there is only one such drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, that screenshot confirms you've tripped over the duplicate-drive bug(s).   To fix that, for each drive, right-click one of the top-level folders and do Show Parent Folder; repeat that until you get to the root folder. Now you should be able to apply the recipe described in this article:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/capitalization-catalog-error/

Even though in your case, both instances of the drive appear to have names with the same case, this method should work to get rid of one of the duplicates.  Be sure to make a backup (two backups) of your catalog before you start!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, after you've exposed the root folder on a drive, it should look like this:

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re. the suggested fix, I am not experiencing duplicate drives. I am experience duplicate drive names That is, the displayed contents on each of these "drives" is not the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines