• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata badge is not updated after the metadata is updated

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images have the metadata badge with down-arrow showing that metadata has changed. I click on a down-arrow, and see a progress bar in the upper left of the screen showing (supposedly) that the metadata is being updated.  The down-arrow doesn't disappear after the metadata is updated.  Even though the progress meter indicates metadata is being updated when I press the down-arrow, is the metadata really being updated? Or does the down-arrow never disappear even when metadata updated (which doesn't seem right).  Metadata Status (in the right panel) still indicates "has been changed."  By the way, closing LR/re-opening doesn't clear out the badge or panel metadata status msg. I haven't used LR for quite awhile, but getting back into it now, and I KNOW the down-arrows disappeared after they were clicked to update the metadata.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add something more. This morning, I verified that the metadata is being updated. I opened Windows Explorer and viewed "details" on the files. I saw that the "last modified date" actually showed the DNG files were modified yesterday. However, the badges still displayed the down-arrow. I pressed the arrow again, saw the progress meter as mentioned in original post. Then, I looked at the files again in Windows Explorer and saw that the files were modified this morning at the current date and time. As an IT professional myself (ret.) I know that consistency of problems helps. However, I went to another file with a down-arrow, selected it, saw the progress meter, looked at the file in Windows Explorer, saw the details that the file was updated on the current date and exact time as I hit the down-arrow.  Then, I returned to LRC to look at the image, and...the down-arrow had (properly) disappeared. This file was also a DNG file. So, what was the difference between these files?  Answer: the one that worked had been edited in LRC!  Ok, so I tried another file that WASN'T edited in LRC, and repeated same process. The file's details in Windows Explorer showed it was modified on the current date/time. Yet, the down-arrow was not changed. I currently don't have another image that I worked on in LRC, as I'm returning to LR after a bit of time, but I suspect the metadata badge would display properly. At least, my research gives the developers something to think about. By the way, I synchronized folders before ANY of this was done. In fact, since I had done considerable changes to folder structure and moving images around in BRIDGE prior to accessing LRC, the LRC catalog was all screwed up.  I deleted ALL LRC catalogs and related files, and indicated LR should create a new catalog, which it did. But that creates a new question, and new post...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one more hint: I had edited several images in Photoshop. I opened them directly, not going through LRC. I had edited them in ACR (without panning or zooming, which didn't work after the recent update), then opened them in Photoshop.

In LRC, as above posts note, I checked the metadata badge on one of the image files. It showed the down-arrow. I pressed it, and the metadata was updated and the arrow disappeared.

So, the important point here was that any (I hazard to assume) image edited in LRC or Photoshop, the metadata update process, and down-arrow, will operate correctly.

It seems that any image that did not go through LRC or Photoshop updates metadata, but the badge somehow unaware...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple cure make a decision, LrC is an alternative to ACR / Bridge, just decide which choice meets most of your needs.

It's not worthwhile procrastinating.

The arrow points in different directions up and down how do you decide when to click or when to ignore?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I chose to use LRC+PS, and can't use BR+ACR+PS anymore. Using other software, even Windows Explorer, on the same folders & image files, while still using LRc catalog, would be asking for trouble.  All my changes to my folder structure, and moving files, must be done within LRc.  That way, the LRc catalog is always aware of where everthing is and if anything (folders or files) have been moved or deleted. 

The problem of the badges not being updated has not been solved, though.  That's something for the Adobe developers to look at.  Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be convenient to have it just work. But I can't afford to give up use of Topaz labs  tools, Phntoshop, my own Perl scripts for maintaining metadata (and organizing the selected image files into online galleries), Photo Mechanic (much better than LR at setting metadata), and such. Besides, as somebody retired after 50 years in the software industry, this behavior that LR is showing is just not right. I should not have to adapt my workflow that drastically to flaws in Adobe's product!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several of us have noticed similar symptoms in LR 10, where Save Metadata To File doesn't update the metadata status correctly:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-saving-metadata-not-updatin... 

Please add details of your issue to the bug report, and be sure to click Like and Follow at the bottom of the first post. That will make it a little more likely that Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've been fighting this, and hating it, for years. I'll add that I've gone to great efforts to make sure that the file server that holds the image files and the workstation that holds the Lightroom catalog (and on which I run Lightroom) are synced to the same NTP server, so their idea of time is synced down to the millisecond. (In my case the fileserver is a TrueNAS box. The files are shared via SMB. Both synced to an NTP server in my server closet at home. Since people not using fileservers have the same problem I don't think that's the root cause of it.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines