• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Metadata presets

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can modify the create date of an image manually in Lightroom but I would like to alter the create date (and other metadata entries) as part of a preset when importing RAW (fujifilm RAF), saving as DNG in a folder structure reflecting the new create date..

I am scanning many negatives with my camera.   The RAF file reflects the exif data of the scanning process.  I want to modify the exif data to reflect the orginal film capture date.  I will likely keep the rest of the exif data referring to my digital camera but add keywords and comments referring to the film camera (unless anyone can suggest a better approach or standard).  

I can alter the create date (and other entries) in batch with Exiftool prior to importing into Lightroom but this creates an extra step.   Changes to certain metadata fields in Lightroom appear restricted or not available in metadata presets.

My preferred workflow:
1. Scan film negatives (color and b&w, or color slides) with digital camera.

2. Import RAW files from camera or SD card

3 Convert to DNG

4 Apply metadata preset changing create date (manually entered in the preset beforehand) and adding keywords, comments, etc.

5 Apply develop preset converting to positive.

6 Save DNG in folder organized by yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd (based on create date)

Currently all steps but 4 are implemented and step 6 writes to a folder based on recent date of scanning/digitizing.

Any guidance or suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think by "create date" you're referring to what LR calls "capture date" (and is stored in the industry-standard field EXIF:DateTimeOriginal).  (There are many different similarly named date fields, so it's important to be precise.)

LR is mediocre at best in providing tools for manipulating capture date. While you can set the field IPTC Date Created in a preset, LR doesn't change its notion of capture date in accordance with the value in IPTC Date Created (even though the industry standards require that).

Also, LR will only move/copy imported files into dated folders on import. Many people have asked for the ability to automatically move them into dated folders after import, but Adobe has ignored those feature requests for years. 

So you have two basic options:

1. Convert to DNG using the Adobe DNG Converter utility before importing them into LR.  Use Exiftool to assign the film capture date to EXIF:DateTimeOriginal before importing (and assign EXIF:DateTimeDigitized to "now" just to be thorough). Then let LR Import move/copy the photos to the dated folders.

2. Import the raws into LR and let Import convert them to DNG. Use LR's Metadata > Edit Capture Time command to set the capture time of the DNGs.  (Check out the Capture Time To Exif plugin if you want to set many photos all to the same capture date.) In LR, manually drag the photos into the correct dated folders. 

In my scanning project, with tens of thousands of slides and negatives, I don't rely on dated folders for organizing, instead using the metadata capture date for all searching and sorting within LR.  I have a folder for each Carousel tray of slides or roll of negatives, and the individual slides or negatives are named with the number of the try or roll and the number within that tray or roll.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.  I will need to experiment with your options 1 and 2. 

I've found I can alter the capture date in the RAF file using exiftool so I may not need to first convert to DNG.   I can alter the fields with exiftool in batch then import and convert to DNG normally in Lightroom.   So, your option 1 but without first converting to DNG.

In your scanning project how did you set the metadata to reflect both the scanning equipment and the original film camera equipment?   

Thanks,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So tested the workflow options.  I did need to convert to DNG first (with DNG Converter tool), Then update Create Date, etc, with exiftool, then import into Lightroom Classic.

Worked perfectly and quickly.

Thanks again,

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"In your scanning project how did you set the metadata to reflect both the scanning equipment and the original film camera equipment?"

My Nikon scanner automatically sets the EXIF camera make and model fields. It wasn't important to record the film camera (which often isn't known).

Since the industry standard EXIF and XMP metadata fields don't provide separate fields for recording the make and model of the film camera and the scanner, you'll have to use other fields or keywords as well. I suggest that you record the film camera make and model in the EXIF camera make and model fields, and use keywords or the EXIF User Comment field to record the scanner.

LR won't let you set the camera make and model fields, so you could either use the Lens Tagger plugin within LR or Exiftool.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines