Highlighted

Metadata problem when printing from LR

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported a black and white photo that I had edited in Photoshop from Lightroom and sent it to the printers. It looked perfect on my iMac--no gray areas. The print came back from BayPhoto showing gray areas that were there before I did some PS manipulation. The rep mailed me their proof copy, and it looked like the print on my Iphone (with gray), but the emailed copy looked perfect on my Mac. I called Apple and they said some metadata was transferring over and to call Adobe. I tried turning down the brightness on my screen to no avail. Can't get through the Adobe support; do any of you know what's going on? I really need my Mac to show me what the printer will see without "testing" it by sending it to my phone...

I'm attaching the file (not sure what you'll see). The wispy areas in the middle are where the gray shows up.

Gray areas are in the wispy part in the center of the image.Gray areas are in the wispy part in the center of the image.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Metadata problem when printing from LR

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported a black and white photo that I had edited in Photoshop from Lightroom and sent it to the printers. It looked perfect on my iMac--no gray areas. The print came back from BayPhoto showing gray areas that were there before I did some PS manipulation. The rep mailed me their proof copy, and it looked like the print on my Iphone (with gray), but the emailed copy looked perfect on my Mac. I called Apple and they said some metadata was transferring over and to call Adobe. I tried turning down the brightness on my screen to no avail. Can't get through the Adobe support; do any of you know what's going on? I really need my Mac to show me what the printer will see without "testing" it by sending it to my phone...

I'm attaching the file (not sure what you'll see). The wispy areas in the middle are where the gray shows up.

Gray areas are in the wispy part in the center of the image.Gray areas are in the wispy part in the center of the image.

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 18, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print providers usually have icc profile for you to download for soft proofing. Did you do so?

https://support.bayphoto.com/s/article/bay-photo-labs-icc-profile

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked them about that and the rep was pretty sure that wasn't the problem, that it was metadata. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rep is full of it. This has zero to do with metadata. It has everything to do with proper color management, good ICC profiles, soft proofing and an output device that's stable. A profile that actually reflects device behavior and one you can fully use as if you were making your own prints. As such, you're not getting that from BayPhoto. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes sense to me. Thanks so much! Do you have other printers that you prefer over BayPhoto?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people don't have to download the image you have attached to your post please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.

2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png
Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 18, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree with digitaldog. This has nothing to do with metadata. That is such a strange remark. Most likely this is indeed a calibration issue on your display. Typically it is set way too bright and all the high key elements merge into white. Macs do need to be hardware calibrated too regardless of what Apple says. You also really have to turn off automatic brightness adjustments, true tone, and night shift. Three features that completely mess up color reproduction on Macs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great advice! Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020 0
Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. First paragraph didn't transfer on my post. I said there that the wispy areas ARE gray in this image. When you use bay photo, one thing to make sure is that you do NOT let them autocorrect the color. This is not very clear in their app and it defaults to color corrected prints. Unfortunately this messes up your images and you really need to turn it off. With it turned off, Bay's color reproduction is very good. Of course that only works if you calibrate your screen correctly

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 19, 2020 0