• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrate LR 6 library/catalog/contents to external HD

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using iMac 10.13.6 and LR6. Running out of room and want to start storing all my photos on my 10TB Ex HD. Firstly...I do not find where they actually are, and then how to make this migration, if that is possible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 02, 2019 Apr 02, 2019

That seems to correspond with Finder.

So if you select the 2016 folder in Finder and choose copy you can navigate to the ehd and choose paste. All the photos and subfolders will be copied.

When finished go to the LR Library and right-click on the 2016 folder with 3210 files and choose Update Folder Location to switch the links to the new location on the EHD. The old folder will disappear automatically and your thumbnails will appear under the connected ehd.

It might be good to do one year at a time

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" in this document

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

The easiest thing to do is to keep the folder hierarchy identical on the EHD and original disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to see in the Folders panel where they are. Simply right-click on any folder name and choose Show in Finder.

If moving large amounts of data e.g. the entire Pictures folder and sub folders, it’s best to copy first to the external drive and then re-link. You do that by right-clicking on the moved folder in the LR Library and choosing Update Folder Location. When everything is correctly re-linked you can safely delete the folders from your internal drive. See Ian’s link – part 2 - for more information.

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. I am/was assuming that I needed to know exactly where all my files(photos) /folders are located to be able to transfer them to the EHD. If I right click on a folder in my Folders column, I do not find the location. I know it is on my HD, but where?This is the screenshot.Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 5.25.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a 2016 folder in the Lightroom Library with all of the same dated sub-folders?

If so you could copy everything in 2016 to the ehd. Then update the 2016 folder location in the LR Library by navigating to the new location.

It may be helpful to upload a screenshot of the LR Library Folder panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 6.27.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to correspond with Finder.

So if you select the 2016 folder in Finder and choose copy you can navigate to the ehd and choose paste. All the photos and subfolders will be copied.

When finished go to the LR Library and right-click on the 2016 folder with 3210 files and choose Update Folder Location to switch the links to the new location on the EHD. The old folder will disappear automatically and your thumbnails will appear under the connected ehd.

It might be good to do one year at a time, deleting each batch from your internal drive before starting the next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help. Look for ward to having some room on my 99% full Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything you said worked exactly as you suggested, but when I checked to see if the >160 GB were actually off my HD, it showed no change in storage??? Did LR keep the files on my HD somewhere I don't know about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you delete the photos from the internal HD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is apparently what needs to happen. I thought when the folder disappeared after relocation to EHD that it was gone. Now, as I do not know where LR6 has stored the 2016 folder/files/catalog or whatever  I am stuck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know where the folders are on your internal HD. And if you don't, you can do a search in your operating system for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did finally find them.  Deleted and now I have breathing room again and ready to continue to 2017. Thank you again for your considerable knowledge and willingness to help clear up a mess that probably seemed very simple to you, but very frustrating for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines