• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migration: Sync Entire Catalog through Lightroom Classic with Lightroom (Cloud)

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom Classic and I'm interesting in moving to the Adobe Lightroom Cloud, while still being able to use Lightroom Classic.  I'd like my entire catalog (and all pictures in it) to be synced to the cloud.  I've turned on syncing in Lightroom Classic, but right now it only syncs existing collections I specify.  Worse yet, if I import any new photos they won't be synced to the cloud unless I manually add them to a synced collection.

I'm shocked there's no simple way to sync an entire catalog of Lightroom classic to the cloud without having to create collections and manually add every new photo to a collection.  Is there something I'm missing?

What's the best way for someone using Lightroom Classic to sync an entire catalog to the cloud and continue to use Lightroom Classic (while having the option to use Lightroom)?

I understand I can open Lightroom Cloud and migrate my photos.. but doesn't throw away my Lightroom Classic catalog?  Looking for some guidance here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find this helpful. The process can be a little cumbersome to first get started, but one set the process is seamless.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-mobile-desktop-features.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to be for synchronizing collections which I already know how to do.  I don't see an option to synchronize a catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just proceed as you have been - adding photos to synced collections. If you don't want photos to go into collections, drag them to All Synced Photos which is in the Catalog panel.

Rather than being "shocked", remember that Classic Lightroom was well-established before "cloud" became a common term. It is intended for local-centric workflows, and cloud features were added onto existing features and capabilities. While Cloudy Lightroom is available for those who wish to be cloud-dependent, it makes a lot of sense to allow the Classic Lightroom user to choose which photos go into the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

In Lightroom Classic, only collections and not the folders can be synced with the Lightroom cloud storage. This is by design as Lightroom Classic was designed for desktop based editing. You can create a collection from a folder by going to the folder in the Library panel, right clicking on the folders name and selecting the option to Create Collection. You would see a dialog box with an option to Sync with Lightroom. We do not have a shortcut or a way to sync the entire catalog with Lightroom cloud. 

When you import new images to Lightroom, you have the option to "Add to Collection" on the import window itself under file handling through which you can create a new collection and set the collection to sync with Lightroom. The application would automatically create a collection using the imported images and sync them with Lightroom Cloud.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple solution is to place ALL your images in one or multiple Collections and Sync that/those collections with the Cloud, LR Web, system. That is until you run out of allotted space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you do this from Classic, those photos don't count against your space.

That allowance is only used up by originals synced from LR Mobile, Cloudy Lightroom or LR Web, and anything in the Dropbox-like CC folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I see it, if you migrate your catalog to Lightroom for the cloud then that becomes your primary and controlling version of Lightroom. All of the images that you have migrated consume your allocated cloud storage space, and (as I understand it) that is the program you should use to import your images from that point onward. It is also not recommended that you try to use both versions on the same computer. Some users try to do it only to discover that it really doesn't work very well. Choose your strategy carefully, and be sure that Lightroom for the cloud has everything you want before you migrate your catalog. That would be my only word of caution to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines