Highlighted

Missing file

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a set of photos into Lightroom on 6-10-2017. I just recently went back to the collection and it is telling me that the file could not be used because the original file cannot be found. However, when trying to relink these images, I cannot find the folder with the original files. I have tried everything to find the files on my computer but I am afraid that it is possible that the folder may have gotten deleted because I cannot find it anywhere. I have been able to find photos taken before and after this date, but just not this specific folder. Is there anything I can do to recover these files? If the previews are still in Lightroom is there any way to save those photos? HELP please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing file

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a set of photos into Lightroom on 6-10-2017. I just recently went back to the collection and it is telling me that the file could not be used because the original file cannot be found. However, when trying to relink these images, I cannot find the folder with the original files. I have tried everything to find the files on my computer but I am afraid that it is possible that the folder may have gotten deleted because I cannot find it anywhere. I have been able to find photos taken before and after this date, but just not this specific folder. Is there anything I can do to recover these files? If the previews are still in Lightroom is there any way to save those photos? HELP please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 07, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The premiums are just small images generated by Lightroom used primarily in the library module. They aren't big enough to do much of anything with. Is there any chance that the folder is still in the recycle bin or trash on your computer?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have checked the recycle bin and even restored deleted files but have not come up with that file. It says that the original location is a WDTemp folder, which I cannot find any readable files. I am not sure where this folder is or why the photos were imported there in the first place. If a folder with the original files is deleted for good, is there no way to restore these files from lightroom? I know they were imported somewhere since I edited a few of the files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The WDTemp name suggests it is a temporary folder used by the Western Digital software running the drive. If that is the case, any and all files that might have been in that folder are permanently gone. If you still have the originals on the camera's memory card, you need to transfer them again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look in the Recycle bin/Trash, if the files are still there, you can restore them.

If not, restore the files from your backups. If you haven't been doing backups, this is probably the time to start doing so ...

The only other option is to extract the files from the previews. The extracted files will be smaller than the originals (unless you have created 1:1 previews), and they will not be raw files.

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything to find the files on my computer but I am afraid that it is possible that the folder may have gotten deleted because I cannot find it anywhere.

Did you use your operating system's search feature  to search ALL hard disks for at least one of these files, searching by file name?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0
Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you import the pictures? Do you have imported it form a SD card and copy to the hard disk during the import?

Do you have it copied on a external hard disk?

Do you have a backup?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2017 0