• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing files after issue

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, after updating from Lightroom Classic v8.x to v10.x somehow files have been deleted from my HDD. Luckily I had backups for most, but to check whether I'm complete again I have right clicked to syncronize the folder and then shown the missing files. 

The issue is that Lightroom shows files that are actually present on the disk. If right-clicked and selected the go to explorer option the file is selected as expected. How to fix this in Lightroom? This way I'll never be able to tell whether I'm complete again. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upgrading LrC to V10 (or any older version to any Newer version) and or in that process upgrading your old Catalog file to work with a newer version can Never Actually DELETE image Folders and or Files from your hard drive.

There is No function in the install files for LrC, any version, that can or would do that.

The upgrade process can remove the older version of LrC and I guess if YOU actually used the installed location of an older version of LrC to store your picture in, which is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA, when removing the old install files your image folders and file could of also been removed.

Don't know how and where you stored the actual image files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's highly unlikely that LrC would have deleted images because it doesn't deal directly with the image files. The only file LrC opens is the catalog. It's possible that LrC didn't identify the most recent catalog to upgrade, and therefore your most recent work is not included in the catalog that was upgraded. I suspect that you will find that the images that were "deleted" are still in folders on your computer. They just aren't included in the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Still doesn't answer my question though. Lightroom indicates files are missing, while right clicking and showing in Explorer actually does give me a result. Have tried to move them to a different folder and then re-locate, but then still files are indicated as missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to edit. But to elaborate. The file is listed in my catalog AND on the disk. Still the file appears in the missing files temporary collection which is setup via the right-click syncronize folder and option show missing files. Since I don't know exactly which files had been deleted I need this list in order to locate missing files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you Right Clicked and selected Go to Folder in Library? Does that take you to the same folder as the option to Show in Explorer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And as mentioned I have also on purpose moved them to a subfolder and then relocated the missing files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like perhaps your catalog got corrupted during the conversion. If an image is missing, it's missing. That means that Lightroom can't show you where it is if you right-click it and choose 'Show in Explorer'. If Lightroom can show you where it is, and at the same time it still reports it is missing, then that is not correct behavior.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. Kinda had the feeling the behaviour was incorrect, therefor my question on how to fix it. 😉

Lightroom still indicates +-600 images "missing" only from the past year (from those a significant amount are thus not missing) and I would like to retrieve only those that actually are so I can restore any available backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do not have to retrieve any images. If I understand you correctly, they are right where they should be. What you need to do is upgrade a backup copy of your pre-version 10 catalog to see if that upgrades correctly.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines