Highlighted

Missing folders after upgrade LR Classic 9.2.1

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I would like to share my problem with you and kindly ask you for your help.

Since I upgraded to a new Lightroom Classic and let it create a New Catalog 2-2-2.lrcat, all my folders, presets and collections with photos got missing in Devevelop mode.

Also, there are around 58 photos left in Library mode, but with this sign:

“DSC01639.ARW” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

Could you help me to go through this problem step by step, please?

I would appreciate it very much. 

Thank you.

Attached you will find the screenshots of the problem.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 17.49.49.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 17.52.34.png

TOPICS
Community Information

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Missing folders after upgrade LR Classic 9.2.1

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I would like to share my problem with you and kindly ask you for your help.

Since I upgraded to a new Lightroom Classic and let it create a New Catalog 2-2-2.lrcat, all my folders, presets and collections with photos got missing in Devevelop mode.

Also, there are around 58 photos left in Library mode, but with this sign:

“DSC01639.ARW” could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?

Could you help me to go through this problem step by step, please?

I would appreciate it very much. 

Thank you.

Attached you will find the screenshots of the problem.

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 17.49.49.png

Screenshot 2020-04-17 at 17.52.34.png

TOPICS
Community Information

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will try to look at it.

Have a nice day.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible you have upgraded the wrong catalog file, and so you might want to have your operating system's search feature find all catalog files on your hard disk(s) (their name ends with .LRCAT) and open each on in Lightroom to see if this is the catalog you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

The system didnt give me an option, which catalog to upgrade, it's just occurred with this, so I clicked upgrade, than the Lightroom has opened up and there were no folders, no presets, even not a catalog like before.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 13.08.45.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot where you show that the preview folder exists is meaningless.  Your actual photos , be they the originals or exports do not exist in that folder. That folder only contains library module previews of the photos. Itty bitty JPEG files.

So, you need to figure out, or just remember where you placed your photos. That is you, not Lightroom, Lightroom placed them upon import where you told Lightroom to place them.

One possibility,  photos on external hard drive currently disconnected, or currently powered off, or renamed (Windows typically).

Another possability, you moved them outside of Lightroom Classic.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That screenshot with photos in Library module are ARW from last year, which I havent done and exported yet.

I have all my photos in folders in iMac, and they were in the old Lightroom CC before the upgrade, like here on this example...

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 14.36.37.png

Im using iMac and have only 5TB external HDD for everyday backup, but all my files, photos are in that iMac.

If you have any new idea, please let me know. 

Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh frig, now that last screenshot shows a possable clue. You are showing RAW + JPEG, do not do that, in preferences treat seperatly. 

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont keep my raw+jpg together, that pictures I put here was just a sample downloaded from internet, just an example.

Meanwhile, I solved the problem that bothered me, I uninstall the new version of Lightroom Classic and upgrade my old one again 😉

I  have one more question for you, how do you start with importing photos to Lightroom?

For example:

- you have RAW photos in Folder 'A'

- than import them to LR

- edit them

- and export them to Folder 'B'

But, you store both of Folders, right? Even if the RAW photos are super big

I hope you understand what I meant. 

Thx

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more question for you, how do you start with importing photos to Lightroom?

For example:

- than import them to LR

- edit them

Typically, the exports are expendable and there is no need for long-term storage of exports. I export photos to a temporary folder. You only export them for some definite reason (like e-mail, print, share on a web site, etc.) and then you can delete them once you don't need them any more, knowing you can re-create them exactly if needed by exporting again. For photos that you edit but don't have a specific need to export them, then you don't export them. The last time I went out to take photos, I came home with about 70 photos, I imported them into Lightroom, I edited them and added keywords and other metadata, and then I wanted to upload about 5 to Facebook, so I exported only those 5, then after uploading I delete the exports. The remaining 65 photos have been edited but have not been exported.

You never want to delete the originals, then Lightroom won't work any more on those photos. You never want to remove the photos from Lightroom (even if they remain on your hard disk), because then you lose the edits and metadata you provided.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0
LucinkaB LATEST
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it was really helpful, I will find a way how to organize my photos.

Have a nice day.

Lucy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 22, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one more question for you, how do you start with importing photos to Lightroom?
For example:
- than import them to LR
- edit them

I was going to answer, but caught myshelf getting too much in the weeds.

However, one point to state, Even if you have no desire to ever edit using the RAW files, say you are going to convert to DNG, or you do not like the Adobe RAW conversion (as in you use a third party RAW to DNG converter). Still, Import the RAW files and never deleate them. They are your original negatives. Future improvements will occur to RAW conversion, if you no longer have them you are out of luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020 0