Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing folders in external hard drive

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All
I have been using Lightroom for Window for a couple of years now, but today when i opened it, the left hand pane while acknowledging that my normal external hard drive is attached only shows three folders! But when I opened Lighroom last week it showed all the folders that are stored in this external hard drive (approximatley 165) and which contain all my photo images! My question is why is Lightroom not showing the other folders anymore and how can I restore them in one go, so that they can be viewed and processed in Lightroom? BTW all the folders and photos can still be seen safely stored in my external drive!
Any help appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have accidentally opened the wrong catalog file. Try File-> Open Recent and open each catalog shown there until you find the catalog you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thanks for coming back so quickly! However, when I tried Open Recent,it highlights Lightroom Catalog.Icrat, and if I click that I get a message saying "Relaunch Lightroom with this Catalog?" and when I accept that it still does not show all the folders that are in my external HD. Very frustrating but thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next step

Use your operating system's search feature to search all drives for files whose name ends with .LRCAT. Double-click on each one found to open it in Lightroom; continue until you find the catalog of itnerest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need some clarification on what you are seeing.

LR is not a file browser. The Folders panel shows you only the folders that you have imported pictures from. The only time you see all the folders on a drive is in the Import dialog.

Are the missing folders ones that you have already imported from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ManiacJoe, Yes i thnk the missing folders are ones that I have already imported from! I think on reflection my subject title is not quite correct, it should say Lightroom not showing folders that are stored in external hard drive (F), even though the were accessible previously in Lightroom. To illustrate the problem further if I disconnect than reconnect the HD to my pc all the folders suddenly appear under the (F) drive heading in Navigator but the lightroom window then asks me to select a source to copy the files to as DNG to another source. When i was using Lightroom  previously. HD (F) was the source I was using to store and save photos in order to save space! Clearly if I saved them to this source again I would run out of storage space ! I am struggling to understand why lightroom is not now recognising the HD in which it had previously accessed folders!

Again thanks for any suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are now seeing the Import dialog box after you disconnect and then reconnect the drive. Can you confirm that is what you are seeing?

If so, there's no need to Import anything, just click cancel in the Import dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_0308.JPG

Hi

February 2020 release (version 9.2)

Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363

Screenshot above (not sure why its rotated!) as you can seen there is nothing under Folder, however, if I click on + on Folder it opens the add Folder prompt which then opens a window to my HD and shows all the my photo folders. If I then select  a specific folder  Lighroom then opens a window asking from what source I  want to import to. But this would involve importing again all the folders from scratch to my HD! Last week under Folder by HD was already identified including all the Folders were I had edited photos etc but now it is not been recognised, it is as if Lightroom forgot it has already accessed and modified these image files?

Thanks again.

February 2020 release (version 9.2)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you click on "All Photographs" under Catalog? Do you see all of your photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which exact version of Windows?

Which exact version of Lightroom?

In the Folder panel, are the missing folders marked as missing "?" or are they completely missing from the panel?

Can you attach a screen shot so that we can see what you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi I responded to your questions above!

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines