Highlighted

MISSING PHOTOS

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my folders, presets, etc. are gone from Lightroom, right after Adobe tried to switch me to Creative Cloud, which I refused to agree to,  because I have  LR 6, don't want to pay any more fees and want to continue using an external hard drive.  An Adobe tech thought LR just needed an update so he did this for me. The files did not come back. I am able to import other pictures from my external hard drive but cannot find the old ones. Can you help me?  All my previous work is totally gone. Not even a suggestion there was any work done here before!

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

MISSING PHOTOS

New Here ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All my folders, presets, etc. are gone from Lightroom, right after Adobe tried to switch me to Creative Cloud, which I refused to agree to,  because I have  LR 6, don't want to pay any more fees and want to continue using an external hard drive.  An Adobe tech thought LR just needed an update so he did this for me. The files did not come back. I am able to import other pictures from my external hard drive but cannot find the old ones. Can you help me?  All my previous work is totally gone. Not even a suggestion there was any work done here before!

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may not help, but it is the only information I have

As soon as you install any part of the Cloud, even a trial, it replaces your program management system
-Read Cloud takes over https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Get-off-the-cloud/td-p/8075485 for some ideas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to find your LR 6 catalog file. It's name ends with .LRCAT. You need to use your operating system's search feature to search all disks for all files whose name ends with .LRCAT, then open each one in LR 6 until you find the one you want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 10, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. It has been done. All my files and edited photos in Lightrooom CS6 are gone. I had an Adobe tech check it as I am not that computer literate. I am told that Lightroom probably crashed, though it had to be when I was not using it because I am not aware of it. It suspect had nothing to do with the upgrade to LR6 1.4 as they were gone just prior to that, but happened when there was a CC6 attempt was being made and I rejected it.
I suspect my photos in LR were hacked. It is a horrible experience. After a whole day of chatting on-line with Adobe I am no further ahead.
I did not have a backup as I was told that it only creates a second copy in Lightroom and uses a lot of space on the internal hard drive. In which case that would be missing now too.
Using an external hard drive is not recommended as they tell me it will corrupt the files. Then how do you protect your computer from being hacked? And I do not plan to use cloud.
Any pointers on how to make this a safer happier experience is welcome.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have a backup as I was told that it only creates a second copy in Lightroom and uses a lot of space on the internal hard drive. In which case that would be missing now too.

Whatever this means, this is wrong.

Using an external hard drive is not recommended as they tell me it will corrupt the files.

Incorrect

Then how do you protect your computer from being hacked?

Anti-virus software, firewalls

If you (or someone) can't find the photos and catalog file, then its hard to imagine how anyone across the internet can help. The first step is to use your operating system to search for the files. If you need help, perhaps a family member or neighbor or someone in a local computer club can help with this.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments. To clarify, I was advised by an Adobe tech in a chat room, not to use an external hard drive for backup, but to use the internal hard drive, as in pictures. The reason he gave was that files could be corrupted. So is it incorrect? A hard drive could be a lot more secure, especially if you have a good system in place.

I gave him permission to check my computer to locate the Ircat files. He did not find any. I will get some local help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you were talking to an Adobe tech? Did you read this? https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/avoid-phishing-3-easy-ways-to-identify-adobe-staff/...

To clarify, I was advised by an Adobe tech in a chat room, not to use an external hard drive for backup, but to use the internal hard drive, as in pictures. The reason he gave was that files could be corrupted. So is it incorrect?

it is 100% incorrect

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Presets

Were you perhaps storing presets with catalog?

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-preferences-lightroom.html

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong Catalog

Use your OS file manager to search for .lrcat files on all hard drives.

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gone? or not shown?

see:

https://laurashoe.com/2013/10/01/when-panels-modules-tools-and-more-go-missing-in-lightroom/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 0