• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move the LR Classic catalog from one internal drive (SATA) to the system drive (SSD).

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under the assumption that average access time for an SSD drive is faster than an SATA drive, I would like to move my LR Classic catalogue from my (internal) SATA drive to the SSD drive (which is the system drive).  What is the best way to go about doing that while keeping the photos in the same location on the SATA drive?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

You copy the catalog from one disk to another, using your operating system. You COPY it into a brand new empty folder. Then you double-click on it to open it.

The SSD should result in speedier performance in the Library Module. The rest of Lightroom probably won't see a speed difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You copy the catalog from one disk to another, using your operating system. You COPY it into a brand new empty folder. Then you double-click on it to open it.

The SSD should result in speedier performance in the Library Module. The rest of Lightroom probably won't see a speed difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I guess I was over-thinking it and (incorrectly) assumed that since the catalog and images are currently on the same drive, if I moved the catalog to a different drive then LR would still look for the images on the same drive as the catalog.  Based on your answer, it seems that the catalog must contain the full path (including drive letter) for each image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A follow-up question:  do the following sub-folders of the folder where the catalog lives (“Lightroom Settings”, (catalog name)Helper.lrdata, (catalog name)Previews.lrdata, (catalog name)Sync.lrdata, & Mobile Downloads.lrdata) have to be moved to the new drive as well?  I left out the Previews sub-folder since they can always be regenerated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those preview folders should be regenerated as needed. Other folders, I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the catalog usually contains the full path names to the image files. If Windows changes the drive letter on you, you can use the OS disk tools to change it back, use that tool to change the drive letter to something bigger (L-Y) so that Windows does not change it on you any more.

The previews.LrData folder does get recreated as needed if you do not copy it. All the other LrData folders should be copied with the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great because I had the same questions and it's always nice to see a recent Q&A dated 2020. I am performing something very similar, but I am moving the LR catalog from an extranal bay (HDD) to an external SSD. I believe the steps are the same, but would appreaciate if someone on this forum would confirm.

System: Mac Pro 2013

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the steps I found:

1. Find where your catalog is located (Lightroom can show you)
  2. Make sure Lightroom is closed.
  3. Copy the folder where your catalog is located to the SSD drive.
  4. Validate the copied catalog opens. (I'm assuming 'validate' means launch LR and make sure it works)
  5. Make sure the new location will be used going forward.
  6. (Optionally) Delete the catalog folder from the original drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds good, but I would add to #4 that after you copy the catalog folder in #3, then #4 ought to read ... double-click on the copy of your Lightroom catalog file on the SSD drive to open it and make sure it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines