• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

moving 3GP (classic mobile video) files does not move them - it DELETES them !!

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings. I am quite upset. I have - *had* - some 2010-2012 era videos shot with mobile phone in .3GP file format. If I use Lightroom Classic's "Folders" sidebar to move the files from one folder to another, it queues everything up to move, and then promptly informs me they are missing, and since deleted.

>> THIS PROCESS IS REPLICABLE <<

You can see here I have a raw file -- this is the file *in* Finder for macOS:

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 10.18.46 AM.png

You can clearly see the physical file on my HDD and its preview in Lightroom Classic.

I then used Lightroom Classic's "Folder" area to relocate this file to another folder in the tree.

I am subsequently informed the file is missing:

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 10.19.05 AM.png

If I go back into Finder to view the *raw* file it is missing from the location it was just located at:

Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 10.36.23 AM.png

I am very distraught. Lightroom Classis is deleting files instead of moving them.

>> THIS PROCESS IS REPLICABLE <<

I can do this time and time again with any .3GP file and the file goes missing, deleted, permanently.

Please advise. Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Report it as a bug to Adobe. (We are not Adobe)

Adobe Submit Product Feedback.png

In the meantime, use this procedure, where you move files in your operating system and then tell Lightroom Classic where they have been moved to: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

And you do have backups of all your photos and videos, and backups of your catalog file, don't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the "Submit product feedback" tip and link. I'm hoping a Community member with older .3GP files can confirm or deny this bug on their LR CC setup.

Yes I have backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain what happened, but I do not think the file was deleted. Your last screenshot still shows an empty space where the icon of that file used to be. If it was really deleted, the Finder would not show that space but would simply move all the other icons one position to left. BTW: the fact that you blurred most of the screenshot does not particularly help. Was that really necessary?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not true. in Finder if you are in "as Icons" mode and you set View->Sort By to "None" it will not perform the action you refer to - it will leave an empty blank space that doesn't get automatically filled in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What if you are not viewing icons, just filenames?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Finder, how about the folder you attempted to move the file  to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file is also not there. A deep search doesn't reveal the file anywhere - even having just seen it in Finder. But only with .3GP files -- .JPG, .MOV, .MP4, etc are moving per usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines