Highlighted

Moving a folder to a new location has erased the missing photos !

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Well, everything is almost in the title !

I've moved a folder from an HDD to another HDD throught my LR catalog. In this folder, about half the photos were missing ones (another story). After the move, all the missing photos were deleted from the catalog (without any warning before or after) ! There is no option shown when you move a folder inside Lightroom, so for me it's a bug. What do you think ? Do somebody has already seen that problem ?

Can be very problematic when you move a folder that contains subfolders stored somewhere else !

Thanks,

Mickaël.

TOPICS
Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving a folder to a new location has erased the missing photos !

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Well, everything is almost in the title !

I've moved a folder from an HDD to another HDD throught my LR catalog. In this folder, about half the photos were missing ones (another story). After the move, all the missing photos were deleted from the catalog (without any warning before or after) ! There is no option shown when you move a folder inside Lightroom, so for me it's a bug. What do you think ? Do somebody has already seen that problem ?

Can be very problematic when you move a folder that contains subfolders stored somewhere else !

Thanks,

Mickaël.

TOPICS
Bug, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never tried this and I agree that you should have gotten a warning, but it does make sense. If you move a folder that contains missing subfolders, then how is Lightroom supposed to move those subfolders? It can't because they do not exist. By moving the parent folder anyway you give Lightroom no choice but to forget all about those subfolders.

This is a user-to-user forum, however. For feature requests of bug reports, go to https://feedback.photoshop.com. Search for your feature request first. If it is already requested by someone else, then don't create a new thread but add your vote to the existing request.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your response !

It's not only happening with subfolders. With a single folder containing a mix of missing and non-missing photos, the change of location (to a new disk) deletes the missing ones from the catalog.

I haven't tried yet to move to another location on the same disk to see what's happening then.

I'll log it to on feedback website then.

++

Mickael.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020 0
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said, that is to be expected. The folder panel shows real folders, and moving a folder in the folder panel moves real folders on disk. Lightroom has no choice but to forget about any 'missing' subfolders when you move a folder, so don't do that when there are missing subfolders. Fix the missing subfolders first.

By the way: you should not have any missing folders in the first place if you use Lightroom properly. Never move or rename folders outside of Lightroom. Always use Lightroom for doing this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020 1
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the point : I have my files stored on a hard drive or a network drive because it can't fit on my HDD's laptop. It's pretty common for me to start organizing my pictures while out of home :add metadatas, GPS, organize collections, make selection. Everything that doesn't need the physical files, only the library.

But that was the first time I was trying to move a folder containing missing files on which I've worked "offline". For me, if a library element is gonna be deleted (even if the physical file is missing), there should be a warning, at least.

And about the move, I was thinking like you before : always made it into Lr. But now, I think that it is safer to move a folder outside of Lightroom and then use "Relocate" to connect it back. That's something happening on Windows when the letter of a drive change; you just have to relocate your folder to get it back working normally. In a way, that's like moving it to a new folder. And the "relocate" option does not erase the missing files from the library.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the actual image files, or folders, were missing there was nothing for LrC to erase. They were already gone. Just the reference to the files, or folders, that were already missing was removed from the LrC Catalog file, a Database file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understand what you mean. It's true the physical files were temporarily missing but in Lr, you can still work on missing files thanks to the previews : add metadatas for instance or even editing if you have smart previews. So even if a photo is not physically connected to your machine at a time, it exists as an element of your Lr library. I think it's quite common that files are stored on a hard drive or a network drive that could be temporarily unavailable.

So I really think that this is a bug or at least that there should be a warning when you try to move a folder containing missing files.

For the moment, I haven't taken time to log this on feedback-photoshop but will definitely do.

Thanks,

Mickaël.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a bug in my opinion. Before Moving folder and or files to some other drive make sure all drives that you have stored iomages on are connected and showing as connected. IE No images or folders or drives for that matter, showing as Missing.

This is clearly User Error IMHO.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0