• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving a photo never finishes (but files are moved on disk)

Participant ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is a weird one, wondering if you guys can help out. This just started today, no big changes in the computer or Lightroom. I just came back from vacation and have been importing to Lightroom mobile and letting them all sync up to Creative Cloud. Now I'm home I have the files in the Lightroom Mobile folder on my Lightroom Classic app. All good.

I've been trying to move the files, just one or two at a time, and what's happening is the file will move on disk (ie: in the finder the file is moved from Lightroom Mobile/2019/2019-01-30 to Photo Library/2019/Vacation-All), but the photo showing in the folder in the Lightroom library doesn't.

[ Just because it's confusing, I'm using the term "file" to represent the "physical" file on disk, ie: /photo library/2019/vacation/image1234.dng and "display image" to represent the object that's in the Lightroom library that's a representation of the "physical" file. When I talk about the folder on disk I mean I the filesystem (/home/user/pictures/photography/photo library/2019/blah/blah/image123.dng) and the library folder is the folder that's displayed under "folders" in the lighroom library. ]

So:

• The "moving..." text in the top left where it indicates what is going on never goes away (ie: it'll be "moving" forever until I hit the 'x' to cancel it)
  • The file on the disk moves to the new folder
  • Lightroom puts a new display image in the destination folder in the library
  • Lightroom never removes the original display image from the original folder in the library

The end result of this is I have

• The physical file is in the destination folder on the disk
  • A display image in the destination library folder
  • A display image in the original library folder with a "!" showing the source file is missing (which is correct because it's been moved to the destination folder on the disk)

I have no idea WTF is going on, and this doesn't seem to be happening all the time. I just moved some files from the Lightroom mobile folder to a folder called 'test' in the Lightroom UI just fine. Then I tried to move a single file from a folder under my photo library folder to another and it did the 'moving...' thing.

Here's an image of what I'm seeing. I had just dragged IMG_5575 from the "Kenya and ..." Library folder to the "London Stopover" Library folder.

I thought it might have been some sort of permission issue, but the file permissions all look fine, and I have tried deleting the previews and smart previews, in case it's an issue moving the preview file somehow, but no luck

Note this is moving one or two images at a time, not a mass move, and origin and destination are all on the same disk (4t fusion drive in an iMac) and all software and OS is up to date.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2019 Feb 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The end result of this is I have

• The physical file is in the destination folder on the disk
  • A display image in the destination library folder
  • A display image in the original library folder with a "!" showing the source file is missing (which is correct because it's been moved to the destination folder on the disk)

So delete from Lightroom the display image in the original library folder.

A better method of moving photos/folders, that doesn't have this bug, is shown in this document (scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location": Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So delete from Lightroom the display image in the original library folder.

Yes, I know I can do this, it was more an issue of wondering if anyone else had seen this or knows why it happens.  I'm aware of the issues with moving files within Lightroom but I've had no issues moving one or two files before (and frankly moving single files from random folders by moving them in the finder and then re-connecting would be a *huge* pain in the ass).  Moving big folders I definitely do this though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This bug has been reported many times. What's a bigger pain, reconnecting or having the move stop in the middle and not complete?

But really, you might want to develop a workflow where moving files from here to there is no longer part of the workflow. I never move files from one folder to another, and so I never have the "pain" or reconnecting or the "pain" or having the move be incomplete. Which is much less "pain" than what you are doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines