• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

moving all Lightroom files/data to external HDD - how do I do that?

Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In preparation to purchase a new iMac and also, in a greater effort to keep things on an external HDD, I'd like to move my Lightroom files to an external HDD from my internal HDD. How do I do that? What files/folders do I need to move and do I do that from within Lightroom or in the finder? Are there any files/data that should stay on my internal HDD instead of getting moved to an external HDD?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 26, 2017 Sep 26, 2017

You COPY (not MOVE) the photos to the external HD, keeping the folder hierarchy 100% the same. Then you would connect LR to the photos on the external HD. Once you have everything working, you can delete the photos on the original HD. Full instructions with screen captures in this article, scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 – Updating Folder Location". Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You COPY (not MOVE) the photos to the external HD, keeping the folder hierarchy 100% the same. Then you would connect LR to the photos on the external HD. Once you have everything working, you can delete the photos on the original HD. Full instructions with screen captures in this article, scroll down to the section entitled "Part 2 – Updating Folder Location". Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

I seem to have some other stuff in my Pictures folder including

* Backups

* Previews.lrdata

* lrcat

* Temporary Import Data

What do I do with all of that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leave them untouched. Do not move them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

So in that case, I'm just moving the actual photo files to an external HDD, but the library and everything else, I'm keeping in place in the internal HDD, right?

Also, do I ever get rid of the backups, or do I just leave them as is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's right, photos on external HD, catalog file and related files on internal HD.

You can get rid of backups (except the most recent one) as you feel comfortable ... you could just keep the most recent backup, but I keep about 10 recent backups. It's up to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

If I get rid of backups, do I just go into the finder and delete them, or is it something that needs to be done through Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's all there is to it, delete the ones you don't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is helpful. I'm moving to a MacBookPro where I will be using an external drive for the photos. 

Just wanted to confirm:

• External HD: Photos
  • Internal HD: Lightroom folder (Backups Previews (lrdata), catalog file (lrcat), Temporary Import Data)

A few quick questions:

1. I imagine that the Lightroom folder will come over with Time Machine. Is there a reason to not use Time Machine?
  2. With the catalog file, previews, and photos in new locations, will I need to do anything to re-link them?
  3. Aside from things like plugins and preferences files, the Lightroom folder and the photos themselves are the two main things I'll need to get up and running on a new machine, right? I'm not missing anything important?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See this link to make sure you are not skipping any files.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines