• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving edited files in Lightroom classic from one folder to another folder.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I move files edited in the latest version of Lightroom CC from one folder to another from within Lightroom will I lose the ability to undo the edits after the file is moved? When I tried to move a file a dialog box opend stating that if I continued any changes made prior to the move could not be undone. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All your edits and metadata will stay with the photo.  The "unclear" dialog just means that the UNDO stack is cleared and you will not be able to do any undos after the move

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob. I have moved files in the past and did not remeber getting that message. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not lose the ability to undo edits, except you can't use the undo menu for it. Instead you simply have to change the edits in the develop module to what you had used previously. Lightroom is a non-destructive editor, so there is no difference between using 'undo', or history, or simply setting back sliders manually.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By Lightroom CC, do you mean Lightroom Classic? I think that message appears in Lightroom Classic only.

The message is confusing. To understand it, it’s necessary to separate the notions of the History panel and the Undo stack. The message is warning that a folder move is not something Lightroom can undo, and also gets in the way of the older Undo steps. What that means, exactly, is that if you move a file to a different folder, you can't use the Undo command to back up before the move.

BUT…that is not the same as losing the Develop module edit history of the image. This is the confusing part, and why it’s important to understand the Undo stack as slightly different than the Develop history. If you move a file to a different folder inside Lightroom Classic, that does not wipe out the Develop history. After a move, you will see that the History panel still contains all of the edit steps for that image. The database inside Lightroom Classic keeps all image metadata associated with the file, until the file is deleted.

Another way to understand this:

• The History panel list of edits records the changes made in the Develop module. Except for a few other actions like exporting or printing, the History panel does not record changes made outside the Develop module.
  • The Undo command records steps made in all modules, like applying keywords and changing sources.

That difference is the key to understanding that confusing message. If you move a file between folders inside Lightroom:

• Yes, the complete list of Develop module steps in the History panel is preserved for the file you moved.
  • No, you cannot use Undo to back out of the move or previous changes. After a move, if you want to undo a recent change you made to that image, you will have to select that earlier step in the History panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines