• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving Lightroom Classic from one computer to another

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new computer. On my old computer I use Lightroom Classic with an external hard drive marked "L".

Lightroom says I have to stop Lightro

om on the old computer and then download to the new computer. My question is, when I plug the external hard drive "L" into the new computer, will those photos upload into Lightroom with all their current adjustments, keyword tags etc. or do I loose all that information and have to start over with all 15,000 photos?  Thank You Jim Wood

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, Funny I just answered that question for someone else. Here are your steps:

1. download and install LR onto your new computer.

2. Copy your Lightroom folder from the old computer onto your new computer -THe Lightroom folder on a Mac is by default located in your Pictures folder - or where ever you chose to put it. IT is the folder that contains the 3 files:

(your catalog name).helper.lrdata

(your catalog name).previews.lrdata

(your catalog name).lrcat

and possibly your Lightroom settings if you chose to keep those with the catalog when you set up LR on your older computer.

You can copy it directly if the 2 computers are connected or you can copy it onto another drive or even a large flash drive, and then plug that drive or flash drive into the new computer and copy it over to your chosen location on the new computer.

Now on the new computer, do not launch Lightroom first, but rather go to that Lightroom folder you just moved and double click on the file called: (your catalog name).lrcat

That will launch your ne LR application on the new computer. A message will appear asking if it is OK to upgrade your catalog to the new system. Say yes, and let LR do the work. It will upgrade your catalog and label it as (your catalog name)-2.lrcat.

When the -2.lrcat catalog opens you may see question marks or exclamation points on your thumbnails. Make sure your external drive with all the photo files on it is connected to the new computer. Click the mark on the thumbnail  - I like to click the first one at the top but it does not really matter. A message will appear saying your photo files are missing and should it find them? Note the image number or name on that thumbnail, and say yes, then navigate to that same image on your (connected) external drive with all the photo files, and click that same image. Then let LR do the work and it should reconnect or relink all the photos. Depending on your organization scheme, meaning folders, subfolders, etc. you may need to repeat that step for other folders or drives.

LR is smart - just point it in the correct direction and let it do its work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

alaskajim  wrote

My question is, when I plug the external hard drive "L" into the new computer, will those photos upload into Lightroom with all their current adjustments, keyword tags etc. or do I loose all that information and have to start over with all 15,000 photos?

Make sure that the external drive is labeled  L on the new computer as well.

If it isn't, right click My Computer, and choose Manage, you can then assign a new drive letter to the drive.

All the edits and metadata are in the catalog, and will not be lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines