• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving LR Catalog - Copy Catalog, Smart Previews and Previews?

Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving my LR catalog(s) to an external SSD. I have the steps on how to do this. However, I've come across two options:

(1) Copy the {catalog name}.lrcat folder to the new location

(2) Copy the {catalog name}.lrcat, Previews.lrcat, and Smart Previews.lrcat files to the new location

From experience, LR creates new Previews in the same (new SSD) location once you launch the catalog from the new SSD location. I am wondering what the pros and cons are of also moving the Previews and Smart Previews to the new SSD location and then launching the catalog. Any feedback and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.

For those in the US, happy Independence Day.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2020 Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Option 2 means you'll be up and running as soon as copy process is completed. With Option 1 you'll need to factor in the time to rebuild the previews and smart previews, which could amount to many hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines