I am moving from PCs to Macs. For a time I will still use the PC laptop in the field and the iMac 27" 2020 model at home. I thought I'd post my conversion / sharing plan here and see of others may see problems and / or better ways to go.
1) All my LR catalogs and images are located in folders on a single external multi-TB drive (NFTS format). The entire size of my LR catalogs and the associated files is about 1.5TB in size.
2) For a time I can will be using both the PC and iMac for LR work, (the PC laptop will be replaced by a Mac at some point in the future).
3) My plan is to format an external multi-TB drive in the ExFAT format via the iMac (as I understand this format can be read and wrritten to by both the PCs and iMacs)
4) After formatting an external multi-TB drive as ExFat on the iMac, I will copy the entire NTFS drive to the newly formatted iMac ExFat drive. I will just plug the NTFS drive and the ExFat drive into the iMac via USB connections and use the iMac file copy facilites to do the copy.
5) I assume that I can just plug the external drive into whichever computer I want to work with LR on from that point on.
Yes, formatting for exFat will give you read and write abilities in both computers.
If you put the catalog on the same external drive, you can easily switch between the PC and Mac by just moving the drive to the new machine.
However, since Mac and Windows use two different naming systems for the hard drives (name vs letter), each time you do the switch, you will need to "relocate" the top-most folders inside of LR to relink the folders and images to the drive name/letter change.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my catalogs are all on the same drive but as you say I will have to deal with that drive naming inconsistancy between Windows and the Mac. Not a big deal as I am used to having to 'find' the drive often because I tend to connect the drive to different ports and the drive name changes on me often anyway. Again, thanks for the reply, it gives me a bit more confidence in my plan.