Highlighted

Moving *.lrdata files from one external hard drive to another

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder on one external hard drive that I store all my catalog files. There are large files in the GB range. I am moving the folder from one hard drive to another. 

Why do the *.lrdata files take so long to move? They might be 5 GB files but I can move 100 GB of other files way before the one 5 GB file moves. It take several minutes just to prepare the file to move.

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving *.lrdata files from one external hard drive to another

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder on one external hard drive that I store all my catalog files. There are large files in the GB range. I am moving the folder from one hard drive to another. 

Why do the *.lrdata files take so long to move? They might be 5 GB files but I can move 100 GB of other files way before the one 5 GB file moves. It take several minutes just to prepare the file to move.

Thanks

TOPICS
Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which .lrdata folder? There are 3 of them for each catalog or at least 2 of them for each catalog.

The Sync.lrcat might not be included for catalogs that you have not synced to the cloud system.

2020-08-27 17_44_40-D__LR Classic V9 Catalog.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the way the operating system works. Moving one 5GB file allows the disk to achieve top speed and then the file transfers as fast as it can. Moving lots of little files (which is what .lrdata contains) that take up 5GB takes a lot longer, the disk has to locate the file and move the read head and so it cannot achieve top speed or anything near it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0