• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving photos from external drive to laptops main drive?

Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the Lightroom/Photoshop subscription on my laptop. Currently all my photos are on an external hard drive.  I would like to move just my favorite photos (maybe 1000) directly to the laptops drive and disconnect the external drive. I'd only reconnect it when looking for less popular photos.  Is there a way to do this easily?  Would my edits and keywords still be usable? Thanks for any help. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dug a bit and see one way is to use the export command and export the selected files as a catalog. Just pick a target folder on the laptop and go.  Has anyone done this method?  My intention is to not have to connect the USB drive unless necessary.  I think the existing catalog would remain intact when I reconnect the USB drive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I dug a bit and see one way is to use the export command and export the selected files as a catalog. Just pick a target folder on the laptop and go. Has anyone done this method?"

The drawback to this is that now you have two catalogs, and so I would not recommend this at all. Also, if you update a photo in this new catalog (edit it or add metadata to it), these changes will not be reflected when you open the original catalog. Better to move the photos in such a way that they remain in a single catalog, as explained in the link from @WobertC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2019 Dec 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom-Classic: Just Drag & Drop selected images or folders from the External Drive to the Internal drive in the Classic Folder panel!

No need for Exporting/Importing catalogs!

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/move-photos-another-hard-drive-leaving-catalog/

This blog article shows two methods-

For ALL photos & folders- Option 1

For selected photos only- Option 2.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines