• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving pics and LRCAT to new external HD

New Here ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my pics and LRCAT on an external HD. I need to move them to another, larger external drive. The pics and CAT are in the same sub-directory.  Since I will name the new drive exactly the same as the old drive, can I use Finder to move everything together to the new drive by dragging the main folder over?  Assuming I would slightly change the name on the old drive first since I can't have two drives with exactly the same name.  OR, do I need to do everything within LR.  If so, I know how to move the images, but not the catalog.  Thanks for any help.

K

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The catalog will load from double clicking the copied version no problem. Even with the same name, the drive may not reconnect in the same way as the internal disk name may be different (it should though). Just in case, have everything in one parent folder, that way you can right click on the folder and use either Find Missing or Update Folder Location depending on whether Lightroom thinks the files are still there. 

Even if you don't use the single parent folder, you can reconnect or update individual folders in this way. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines