Highlighted

Moving processing changes from one catalog to another

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to version 9.3 from an earlier version and updated my catalog.  However, I subsequently imported 57 photos into the old catalog and did post-processing on them.  I should have imported and processed in the new catalog.

I have now imported the images into the new catalog, and I would like to transfer the postprocessing modifications into the new catalog.  Is there a way to do that efficiently?

Thanks.

Mike

Topics

How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Moving processing changes from one catalog to another

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to version 9.3 from an earlier version and updated my catalog.  However, I subsequently imported 57 photos into the old catalog and did post-processing on them.  I should have imported and processed in the new catalog.

I have now imported the images into the new catalog, and I would like to transfer the postprocessing modifications into the new catalog.  Is there a way to do that efficiently?

Thanks.

Mike

Topics

How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Advocate ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the earlier version of Lightroom Classic? This solution asumes you are using a version earlier than 9.0 and only have the 57 images in one place on your computer.

First, in the earlier version of Lightroom Classic, save the processing information as xmp files on the images. You would do that by selecting all those images in the Library module and do a CMD/CTL + S.

Next, exit the older version of Lightroom Classic and start up V 9.3. Select the 57 images in the Library module and under the Metadata menu, choose Sync Metadata. That will read the image information including your processing into the V 9.3 catalog and all the previews will update to show the processing changes.

Kenneth Seals

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync metadata will not transfer collections, edit history, pick flags, virtual copies and several other things that I don't remember now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing photos is completely the wrong thing to do, when you have photos in another catalog.

The proper method is to select the 57 images in the "other" catalog, then File->Export as Catalog, then start up the "correct" catalog and use File->IMport from another Catalog and select the catalog you exported from the 'other' catalog just a minute ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method as suggested by dj_Paige is detailed in this article link from the Lightroom Queen where she refers to a 'Backup' catalog used to restore a "partial" selection of photos. (Not the full catalog!)

The OP will use the catalog with the 57 new photos to 'Export as a Catalog' for the transfer.

Restore photos from backup catalog

This process will restore everything about the editing, collections and keywords into the new catalog.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 9.4, Lightroom 3.4, Photoshop 2020 (21.2.1), Nikon DSLR, Windows-10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines