Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Multiple Lightroom import issues

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Lightroom 10.2 .

I ran into many limitations in Lightroom.

http://blog.madbrain.com/2021/04/top-6-pet-peeves-about-lightroom.html

Is there any solution or workaround for any of these ?

Top 6 pet peeves about Lightroom Classic import

1. Lightroom cannot move files from my camera's SD card
    Lightroom will copy files from the SD card, but not remove them. Only files from a hard drive can be moved. The result is one cannot just put the SD card back into the camera and continue shooting.

If one removes files from the Lightroom catalog after copy from the SD card, the next time Lightroom imports from the SD card, those files will be copied again !

Adobe recommends formatting the SD card after importing before putting it back into the camera. But this is not practical if the SD card contains other files, such as video files, that I don't want to import in Lightroom. Lightroom should have the option to move files from any volume, including SD cards.

Because of this, I am forced to first manually move files from my SD card to a directory on my hard drive, then importing in Lightroom from that location. That is a 2-step process instead of one. Computers were built to automate tasks, not make them more complex.
  2. Lightroom import presets cannot remember whether to include or exclude video files
    One can use the Alt key in the Import dialog to check or uncheck video files during an import, but this setting cannot be saved into a preset. One has to press Alt again at every single import. I only want to manage photos in Lightroom, and not videos, and this is very annoying to be forced to do every time.
  3. Lightroom import presets cannot remember the source directory location.
    If I want to have separate presets for my SD card and OneDrive directory, it's not possible. I have to re-select the source directory manually every time during each import. I would like to save the location into the preset, but it can't be done.
  4. Lightroom auto-import cannot move files into a tree structure
    I cannot use auto-import to move files into a tree structure by date, which is something that I can do in the manual import feature. All files that are auto-imported must be moved into a single folder. Why does the auto-import feature have to be at all different from the manual import ? Beats me.
    Because of this limitation, I cannot use auto-import at all.
  5. Lightroom auto-import can only watch a single source directory.
    If I want to, say, automatically files from both my Google Drive and OneDrive, it's not possible. I have to choose or the other.
  6. Lightroom auto-import only works from folders that are initially empty.
    Normally, I manually import my pictures into D:\Documents\Pictures\YYYY\MM . I would like Lightroom to have the option to automatically monitor any files that have been externally added or removed from those locations. One great example is files manually created by Photoshop when using Super Resolution. As it currently stands, the only way to import those files is to manually run "Synchronize folder", if one knows the actual folder that Photoshop created the image in !

Pentax K-1 II . Panasonic Lumix GX85.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
2 x 32UHD59-B 32" 4K displays
1 x Asus PB238Q HD display
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the link for the Adobe feedback forum. That is where Adobe engineers address feature requests and bug reports.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/topics/lightroom-classic/5f5f2093785c1f1e6cc40872

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#1 has been debated many times, and it appears to be a deliberate decision by Adobe to not allow MOVE with photos on an SD card. For what its worth, I agree with Adobe's decision to not allow this. The risk is that the photo will get corrupted in the move, and simultaneously (because of using MOVE) the original is deleted. Now all you have is a corrupted file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why allow move at all from one hard drive to another ? Photos could in theory get corrupted during any move. It just doesn't make sense. Let the users decide what to do.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's more protection in moving from one hard disk to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree dj, in addition move will delay the import process, copy to new location and then delete.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how a move always works. First you copy the file to the new location, then you delete the original. You can't do it in any other order. All I am asking is for that process to be automated. If anything, doing manually is more error-prone.

i7-5820k OC 4.3 GHz
32GB DDR4-2666
8x1 TB striped SSD
nVidia GTX 960
10Gbe Ethernet

112TB NAS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Despite your interest, I seriously doubt that Adobe will implement this, since they have had 10+ years to do so and haven't done it, and despite people requesting it for 10+ years. Nevertheless, as stated above, you need to go to that other forum and make your request directly to Adobe. We are just Lightroom Classic users here in this forum, and so we can't add that feature even if we wanted to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines