Highlighted

My lightroom is insanely slow

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

First post here, 

I have spent the last few days trying to get my lightroom to be a bit faster, its running rediculously slow.

I have tried following Adobe's own guidelines to speed it up with things like the XMP, raw cache, optimise catalogue etc but nothing is working. It's almost becoming unusable to be honest. I first noticed it starting to slow down probably around a year ago or whenever it was it went to 9.x.x

So its Lightroom Classic. My laptop specs as follows - 

Intel Core i7-6700 2.6gh

16gb RAM

GTX 960m 4gb video card

500gb M.2 SSD (which is where all my photos, catalogue, cache etc is located)

1TB secondary HD

As you can see my laptop should be more than capable of running lightroom. 

The problem is throughout all of LR, cycling through the library filmstrip, importing and in the devolpment module. 

I have 120gb+ of RAW photos in my library.

So can anyone shed any light on where I can start to look to speed this up?? Even going through my library and trying to delete some of the images is proving a massively labourious process in terms of the amount of time it takes even to navigate through. 

Thanks

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

My lightroom is insanely slow

New Here ,
May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, 

First post here, 

I have spent the last few days trying to get my lightroom to be a bit faster, its running rediculously slow.

I have tried following Adobe's own guidelines to speed it up with things like the XMP, raw cache, optimise catalogue etc but nothing is working. It's almost becoming unusable to be honest. I first noticed it starting to slow down probably around a year ago or whenever it was it went to 9.x.x

So its Lightroom Classic. My laptop specs as follows - 

Intel Core i7-6700 2.6gh

16gb RAM

GTX 960m 4gb video card

500gb M.2 SSD (which is where all my photos, catalogue, cache etc is located)

1TB secondary HD

As you can see my laptop should be more than capable of running lightroom. 

The problem is throughout all of LR, cycling through the library filmstrip, importing and in the devolpment module. 

I have 120gb+ of RAW photos in my library.

So can anyone shed any light on where I can start to look to speed this up?? Even going through my library and trying to delete some of the images is proving a massively labourious process in terms of the amount of time it takes even to navigate through. 

Thanks

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing that you should try is to switch off the GPU support from the Lightroom preferences and check if that helps to fix the issue.

Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html#troubleshooting

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-gpu.html

Which operating system do you use? Please post the exact version.

Is your system up-to-date? Do you have install all patches and the newest drivers?

You can alos take a look here: https://digital-photography-school.com/10-tips-to-improve-lightrooms-speed-and-performance-without-a...

See especially part 4 and  look at your Standard Preview size.

Do you have enabled the Face recognition function? If yes please deactivate this function and check again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What actions in the develop module are slow?

How big is your monitor, in pixels?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote "500gb M.2 SSD (which is where all my photos, catalogue, cache etc is located)"

How much free disk space is there available on this drive, you need to have at least 25% free i.e. 125GB if it goes lower than this you will see progressive slowdown.

Consider moving your photos to the secondary drive, catalogue, cache etc should remain there.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.7: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 06, 2020 0