Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My Mac keeps crashing when going to sleep and Lightroom Classic 9.0is open

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have been encountering this problem for a while, and updating Lightroom never fixed it.

I am using macOS 10.14.6 on a 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro, and Lightroom Classic version 9.0 [201910151439-b660523e].

CPU: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9

GPU: Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB and Radeon Pro 560X

Here's what's happening step by step:

- I use Lightroom, everything works fine,

- I get away from the computer (Lightroom is still open). The Mac is programmed to turn off the display after 2 minutes.

- Computer (or just the display? I'm not sure) goes to sleep.

- When I get back to the computer and try to wake it up, the screen stays dark, and after a few seconds, I can hear the fan for 1 second and then nothing. (so basically it just crashes and shuts down).

- The Mac is shut down and I have to reboot it.

This only happens when Lightroom is open. So I try to remember to quit Lightroom whenever I get away from the computer, but sometimes I forget and then I have to reboot the computer...

I tried reproducing the crash by putting the computer to sleep myself, but it doesn't crash, so maybe it only happens if the computer goes to sleep by itself after a few minutes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry that Lightroom Classic 9.0 is either shutting down or putiing your Mac to sleep while it's left idle for a couple odf minutes. There could a couple possible factors that might cause this issue:

1. Lightroom while syncing  prevents your computer to sleep if that preference is enabled. You can select Prevent System Sleep During Sync option to stop your computer from sleeping while Lightroom Classic desktop is syncing images with Lightroom ecosystem of apps. To access and disable this setting in the sync preferences in Lightroom Classic, choose Lightroom Classic (Mac) menu > Preferences > Lightroom Sync tab.
  2. GPU drivers can also cause this issue if they are not up to date or are conflicting. Please try turning off the GPU option from Lightroom's preferences? Go to Lightroom > Preferences > Performance tab > Uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" > Restart Lightroom.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, tried this solution and it works.

Tank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. That's great. Glad to know it worked. If you have any other query or need further assistance, feel free to get back to us anytime.

Thanks, 

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have "Use Graphics Processor" under this tab.  Is there antoher way to fix the problem of my Imac crashing if I leave lightroom running and my computer goes to sleep.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At saram,

You are raising an issue within an old thread for Nov 2019 with a Mac and Lightroom 9.0.

Please indicate exactly what version of Lightroom Classic you are using and what version of macOS you are running?

The latest versions are LrC 9.4 and macOS 10.15.6.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Internal notebook screen or external monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not had this issue, but your problem has me looking.

One link to read:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

The Safe Sleep is interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answers.

I will try turning off the GPU option and see if that still happens, but I would prefer keeping the GPU acceleration!

I'd like to point out that the computer going to sleep is not the problem here. That's a normal behavior from my Mac that I am expecting.

The problem is that when the computer goes to sleep while Lightroom is open, trying to wake the computer makes it crash.

(Edit: Sorry, I meant to reply to the thread, and not to this message in particular)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Krill_C

I have had the exact same problem.  Still do! I have resorted to the same fix you originally did of shutting down LR before leaving my mac for a period of time.  I get a message on my screen eventually saying my mac had shut down unexpectedly so its definitely a crash.  Did you manage to rectify the issue?  I used to have LR open 24/7 and still would like to as I use it all the time.  Interested to know if you managed to find a solution.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue - it is very frustrating. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computer crashing is always either a bad driver or a hardware malfunction. You need to re-install your drivers, and also check your hardware for malfunctions by running diagnostic software (and don't forget to check the cooling system)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. I suspected lots of things were causing this for a while, but turns out it only happens when LR is left running. Realy annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this exact same problem with my Mac. I suspect it may be something to do with the Backup Catalog option when exiting Lightroom. If I have not yet backed up the Catalog for the day, my Mac will typically fail to wake after sleep. If I have already backed up the Cataog (e.g. exit LrC then restart), my Mac does not seem to crash when waking from sleep mode. Very annoying, whatever it is. Would love to see a fix. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines