My Macbook does Lightroom faster than my Z8 Workstation, and I don't know why

Hello,

I use lightroom quite a lot and recently upgraded my workstation to a HP Z8, which is an extreamly powerful machine. However, it loads and operates Lightroom so slow. So slow, in fact, that my Macbook Pro 2015 is so much faster I prefer it over my workstation in that regard. I cannot figure out what makes it better. It has twice the amount of RAM, better processor, better graphics card. It makes no sense.

Any insight?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

My Macbook does Lightroom faster than my Z8 Workstation, and I don't know why

Hello,

I use lightroom quite a lot and recently upgraded my workstation to a HP Z8, which is an extreamly powerful machine. However, it loads and operates Lightroom so slow. So slow, in fact, that my Macbook Pro 2015 is so much faster I prefer it over my workstation in that regard. I cannot figure out what makes it better. It has twice the amount of RAM, better processor, better graphics card. It makes no sense.

Any insight?

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More

What are the detailed hardware specs of the Z8? Which exa...

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 08, 2020

What are the detailed hardware specs of the Z8?

Which exact version and build number of Windows?

Which exact verion of Lightroom?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What are the detailed hardware specs of the Z8? Which exa...

Here are the specs:

Model: HP Z8 G4 Workstation

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5120 CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.19GHz (2 Processors)

Installed RAM: 32.0 GB

System Type: 64-Bit x-64 based processor

Graphics Card: Nvidia Quadro P4000

2 1TB NVME Drives

Windows Build: 18363.592

Lightroom Version: Lightroom Classic 9.1

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What are the detailed hardware specs of the Z8? Which exa...

Any other thoughts now that the specs are sent?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

The specs are excelent. First thing to try is update the...

Adobe Community Professional , Feb 18, 2020

The specs are excelent. First thing to try is update the graphics driver using the latest version on the Nvidia website. Choose 'Clean Install' during the installation.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/156767/en-us

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What aspects of Lightroom are faster? Please be specific....

What aspects of Lightroom are faster? Please be specific.

Also please state the size of the monitors (in pixels, not inches) on the two different computers.

Also, is the GPU acceleration choices in Lightroom Classic set the same on both machines?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What aspects of Lightroom are faster? Please be specific....

Initial startup, Importing photos, Fetching previews. Essentially, getting everything started. Once the photos are imported, loaded etc, the performance is comparable to the MacBook.

My monitor for my desktop is 5120x1440. However, I only occupy less than a third of the space while operating LR.

Macbook is 2880x1800.

As of right now, my Macbook is not using the 8.4.1 Release.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: What aspects of Lightroom are faster? Please be specific....

Initial startup, Importing photos, Fetching previews. Essentially, getting everything started. Once the photos are imported, loaded etc, the performance is comparable to the MacBook.

A possibility is that your virus checker is checking things it shouldn't be checking, like photos and the previews and even the catalog itself.

Very slow importing of photos could also be a hardware problem, but since other things are slow, I would investigate the virus checker first.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

1. How about some additional System Information, and how...

1. How about some additional System Information, and how about posting that via what a Lightroom Classic reports.

In Lightroom Classic, click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste into a reply. include info from first line down to just past plug-in info.

CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10; mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.3; 4K EXT DSPY
APP: LRC 9.2, PS 21.1; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3; Just another Adobe customer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Looking up your rig, appears to be a nice capable Windows...

Looking up your rig, appears to be a nice capable Windows workstation, not one of those power saving POS (typicaly hybrids). So at least one default power setting can be altered to give more CPU usage.

See tip 8 in the following

https://au.pcmag.com/windows-10-1/5180/11-tips-to-speed-up-windows-10

and, of course read the entire  thing.

CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10; mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.3; 4K EXT DSPY
APP: LRC 9.2, PS 21.1; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3; Just another Adobe customer

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines