• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My photo files are on an external HDD. Where should I keep the catalog file?

Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my photo files are on an external HDD. Should I keep the catalog on the internal HDD of my iMac, or on the external HDD with the photos?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Technically speaking, it doesn't matter. But as a general rule you would want to try to have your catalog on your fastest hard drive. You will benefit from having the catalog on your best performer  much more than you will having your images on the speed demon.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically speaking, it doesn't matter. But as a general rule you would want to try to have your catalog on your fastest hard drive. You will benefit from having the catalog on your best performer  much more than you will having your images on the speed demon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess is right, unless you want to move your entire catalog and photo library between 2 different computers, then it's easier to keep it on the external drive with the photos. Run the catalog from the external drive. Again, speed counts so use the fastest connection you have to the external drive.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2017 Apr 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great, thanks!

Is my internal hard drive always faster than my external hard drive? How can I find out which one is faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, where would you put the catalog backups?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I place my catalog backups on another internal drive. Catalog is on the D partition of a SSD. Images are on my E drive which is a standard rotating HDD and I also store the catalog backups on the E drive. I use 2 other internal drives and 2 external drives. Image backups are on both externals and one internal drive. I also use a program called True Image to make a backup image of both partitions of my SSD and store the backups on one internal and one external drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My catalog is on my system drive, which is a SSD drive. That is also where my programs are installed. My images are on internal conventional hard drives. My backups are on external hard drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines