• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Named faces sometimes not listed in Keyword Tags

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of my photos have named faces (area identified in photo of face with name entered) but the name does not show up in the Keywrod Tags (which can be exported with the photo). If I click on the name attached to the identified area and hit enter (Win 10) then the name is entered in the Keyword Tags list. Since this is only some names in some photos it is very laborious to fix. Running LrC 9.3. Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

"I did use Picasa a long time ago, so it is possible that the photos at issue had their faces tagged before importing into Lightroom."

Picasa followed the same industry standard as LR for face tagging, but that standard didn't specify how to use keywords.  So when LR imports Picasa-tagged photos, it imports the face rectangles along with the labels under the rectangles but not the corresponding keywords (because Picasa didn't assign industry-standard keywords).

If you're experienced with com

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Triple-check that the name doesn't appear in the Keyword List. Type the name in the Filter Keywords box, click the triangle to right of the box, and ensure All is selected:

johnrellis_0-1592958080228.png

2. Were some of these photos originally face-tagged in another program like Picasa before they were imported into LR?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The name does appear in the Keyword List (it appears with other photos), but it does not appear in the Keyword Tags for this given photo, yet the face is identified correctly in the photo. I did use Picasa a long time ago, so it is possible that the photos at issue had their faces tagged before importing into Lightroom. If that were the case, would their faces (region in the photo) be accurately shown in Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I did use Picasa a long time ago, so it is possible that the photos at issue had their faces tagged before importing into Lightroom."

Picasa followed the same industry standard as LR for face tagging, but that standard didn't specify how to use keywords.  So when LR imports Picasa-tagged photos, it imports the face rectangles along with the labels under the rectangles but not the corresponding keywords (because Picasa didn't assign industry-standard keywords).

If you're experienced with command-line scripting, you could use the free Exiftool utility to copy the face labels to keywords. But beware the learning curve for Exiftool is steep. There was a thread in these forums from several years ago that gave details, but Adobe in its wisdom discarded older threads when it migrated to a new forum platform.

You could also check out the Picasa Face-Recognition Import plugin. The author has an excellent reputation. It's not clear whether it reads the data from the Picasa database (which must be still on your computer) or from metadata Picasa stored in the photos.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello I have the identical problem  "Some of my photos have named faces (area identified in photo of face with name entered) but the name does not show up in the Keywrod Tags (which can be exported with the photo). If I click on the name attached to the identified area and hit enter (Win 10) then the name is entered in the Keyword Tags list. Since this is only some names in some photos it is very laborious to fix." but have never used picassa, or any other photo editing program, am on LR latest version, is this a bug ??? it shows no keywords in windows file properties, but the face regions are clearly identified, again if i select the face region name and pres enterthat keyword appears in the keyword panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for the responses. I think you have hit the nail on the head, as I see no issues after Picasa went obsolete (and I stopped using it). Your description matches perfectly with what I am seeing so let's consider this one solved. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines