• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need Help! LR Classic is changing my capture date to the edit dates.

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2020 Jul 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This afternoon, LR Classic changed the capture date to the edit dates for every file I edited or tagged. This will create a big problem for my organizing in collections.

The attached image shows a set of files I tagged this evening that changed the date.

How can I avoid this and more importantly, how can I restore the capture date?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

You are correct. If LrC doesn't find a proper Capture Time Entry then it assigns the Edit date or whatever as the capture time. FB probably Strips all that metadata from the file so LrC has no choice but to use the file date on the actual File.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So people don't have to download the image you have attached to your post please Edit your post to remove the Attached screen shot and Include it in the body of the text of your post.

You do that by Clicking the "More..." link at the bottom of your post, Selecting "Edit Message" and then use the "Insert Photos" icon in the tool bar at the top of the Post/Reply/Edit dialog box like this.

2020-06-07 19_13_42-Camera Raw Brush tool problem - Adobe Support Community - 11189555.png

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Kind of files are they?

Were they shot with a Digital camera?

Where are you seeing this Capture Time date and time change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have solved my problem. Apparantly the ones that are getting the wrong capture date are files that I've downloaded from Facebook that don't have the capture date in metadata. This doesn't seem to be happening with photos I've taken.

Thanks to all who have replied!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct. If LrC doesn't find a proper Capture Time Entry then it assigns the Edit date or whatever as the capture time. FB probably Strips all that metadata from the file so LrC has no choice but to use the file date on the actual File.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. Once I realized that the only ones that had the date changed on the file were composites my daughter had posted to Facebook and some earlier FB images, it wasn't hard to figure out. I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, first subject, Library View Options

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/setting-library-view-options.html

or better

https://photographylife.com/lightroom-grid-view-options

second part, what you have chosen to be displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what I have checked.

Annotation 2020-07-08 083611.png

What does this have to do with my issue? There's nothing about changing the date here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with the Library View Option.

The Capture Time is Embedded in the image and is viewed in the Metadata section of the right hand side panel. Yes it can also be displayed in those View Options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered one oddity to my problem. Lightroom has changed the capture date on the image to the edit date as well as the actual file date. All the images in my original message show the capture date as the date I tagged them.

However, in my collections by year, over half the images show in my 2019 folder and the rest in the 2020. The ones in my 2019 folder show a 2020 date.

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have To EDIT the Capture Time.

Google "Change Capture Time in Lightroom Classic" for instructions on how to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines