• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need to reduce file size to 2ookb

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a JPG file in Lightroom CC (latest version) and I want to export it reducing the file size from 4mb to 2mb. No matter what I change it comes back telling me to increase file size. How can I reduce it before I export?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

It isn't possible to reduce the size of the file before it is exported because Lightroom does not modify the master file. It would be necessary for you to reduce the size, in dimensions, sufficiently as well as reduce the quality sufficiently to constrain the file size to meet your requirements. And that would be controlled in the export settings when you create the  new copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't possible to reduce the size of the file before it is exported because Lightroom does not modify the master file. It would be necessary for you to reduce the size, in dimensions, sufficiently as well as reduce the quality sufficiently to constrain the file size to meet your requirements. And that would be controlled in the export settings when you create the  new copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to JimHess' suggestions you can help make the Export file size smaller by insuring it isn't over-sharpened or has noise. Use the Detail panel controls at 100% view and adust the image so that there is no visible noise, which will inflate the export file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some 4GB Jpg files will and some won't reduce to less than 200kb in LrC.  It depends on the image.  If it a blue sky it will but if the image has a lot of detail it will not.  That is just the nature of Jpg compression.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing to keep in mind is the file size. By this I mean the pixel dimentions. If you reduce an image by 50% (e.g., 4000 pixels wide down to 2000 pixels wide), you will decrease the storage size of the image by 75%

So be sure you find out what the actual size of the image needs to be before you go crazy trying to cut into the compression too much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

reducing the file size from 4mb to 2mb.

That would be 2000Kb (not 200Kb- or is this a mis-print in your subject header?)

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines