Highlighted

New install- what happens to the existing catalog or backups?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Lightroom and made a big mess out of the folders and catalogs, .... Lucky I only used about 400 pics so far but it's to complicated the way I did it. Syncing with my phone pics through lightroom mobile was also in a weird way.

Anyway I would like to restart with a clean install. I still have all the raw files on a seperate hard drive that I can import again.

I just don't know what will happen if I do a clean install. I know that the folders still stay on my C drive with the files in it but will this automatically all be the same again through the backup and basically end up with the same mess or how can I restart from zero? I've read upon the best ways to sort everything now so I'm a bit wiser now on the whole structure, I just don't want everything to be the same again as soon as I restart the new install.

What's the best way to do this and what should I do with the synced files that are in the cloud at the moment through the mobile version?

Thank you

TOPICS
Download and install, How to, Import and export, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New install- what happens to the existing catalog or backups?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to Lightroom and made a big mess out of the folders and catalogs, .... Lucky I only used about 400 pics so far but it's to complicated the way I did it. Syncing with my phone pics through lightroom mobile was also in a weird way.

Anyway I would like to restart with a clean install. I still have all the raw files on a seperate hard drive that I can import again.

I just don't know what will happen if I do a clean install. I know that the folders still stay on my C drive with the files in it but will this automatically all be the same again through the backup and basically end up with the same mess or how can I restart from zero? I've read upon the best ways to sort everything now so I'm a bit wiser now on the whole structure, I just don't want everything to be the same again as soon as I restart the new install.

What's the best way to do this and what should I do with the synced files that are in the cloud at the moment through the mobile version?

Thank you

TOPICS
Download and install, How to, Import and export, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 07, 2020 0
cmgap LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - you can restart from zero. Now that you've got  a better understanding of how to organize your folders - create a new catalog and start importing. Each  catalog is independent of each other so you can delete the catalog that is not set up the way you want it. With regards to syncing -  you can only sync one catalog at a time. You'll be prompted to choose the new catalog when you turn on Sync in the activity panel (the white triangle next to your name in the upper left corner).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2020 0