• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Laptop - Need to connect HDDs to LR6

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my LR6 has been moved to a new laptop. Firstly, I have not accesed LR6 on old laptop since Jan 2018, secondly I only just got LR6 on new laptop in last few days and this is first time to use it on new laptop, thirdly  I have NEVER stored any LR6 files on laptops, they are always on two HDD's, as follows;

Q = All photos from SD cards (new photos from camera) are transferred here.

W = Working drive, all photos for LR are transferred from Q to here, put in Catalogues, tagged, etc..

X = Back-up drive. Periodically W drive is synched with this drive. Nothing else is on this drive.

When I open LR6, I cannot see photos, catalogues etc... from W drive, how do I connect this drive to LR6? I understand that Drives need to be labelled using Disk manager (I'm using Windows), I have done this always on old and new laptops, so the Drive letters above have never changed as far as LR6 is concerned and where it looks for photos.

I appreciate that the biggest issue is me not having used LR for approx +28 months, so I have forgotten more than I probably knew! 🙂

Some advice please, before I make a costly mistake, thanks in advance, Jon B.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your folders should all have question marks on them. This document (see Figure 4 in particular) explains how to fix the problem: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks for taking time to read and reply. I have been through various posts on forum and understand your reply. My issue is, there are NO folders, I cannot even get to that early point of the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have been through various posts on forum and understand your reply. My issue is, there are NO folders"

Do you mean, there are no folder IN LIGHTROOM? If so, then you have most likely opened the wrong catalog file. You have to use the catalog file that was in use the previous time you used Lightroom, it's name ends with .LRCAT (you should use the search feature in Windows Explorer and search ALL disks) and open the .LRCAT files found by double-clicking on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to Copy both all your images, in the Same Folder structure (PATHs) and the Original LR Catalog file that was used on your old computer over to the New computer and Place all the images In the same Exact Folder Structure (PATHs) (Drive name or Letter (Mac/ Windows respectively) Folder Name and Sub-Folders) as they were on the old computer and then Open that old catalog by double clicking on it. LR will load that older catalog and all your images will show up and show No problems (IE missing images or missing folders).

What you have done is installed LR 6 and let it create a New catalog with No images imported. Do NOT try importing your images into that new catalog. You need to Copy over the older catalog from your older computer.

How do I move Lightroom to a new computer? | The Lightroom Queen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks for reply. As said in original post, NO files or folders have been created or filed on old laptop or new laptop. All files and folders ONLY EXIST on my HDD's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I do not understand your "Only Exist on my HDD's. Are they External hard drives?

Every install of LR creates a Catalog File. That catalog file is a Database file that LR can't do without. No matter where your image files are stored, internal or External HDD, the catalog file that LR MUST create to actually work is normally stored, the Default Location, in your Username folder on the system drive, usually C drive for windows or Macintosh HD for a Mac, and then under the Users top level folder on the ROOT of the drive.

If you moved that and or created a LR catalog file on one of those, what you are calling your EXISTING HDD, then you need to Open that catalog. If you never moved or created a catalog file on what you refer to as your EXISTING HDD then the catalog file is in your Username folder, Pictures, Lightroom folder (the Default location LR uses to store the catalog file) of the old computer. you have to Copy that file from old to new and open that.

So you need 2 (TWO) things when going to a New computer.

1) all your images

2) your ORIGINAL catalog file that was used on the older computer you are moving from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh bollox................

Tks for explanation.

Old computer suffered a HDD on the internal HDD, which is why laptop was replaced (it is a Co issued laptop).

To answer above question, yes, the HDD's I am referring to are external, not internal, sorry for not mentioning that previously.

So I guess from your explanation, of requiring the LRCAT file from old laptop, and not being able to get that, I am screwed? I need to check Dropbox, there is a possibility I had the Username folder moved to Dropbox files, but that is a longshoot if I am honest.

JB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have taken onboard your comments/advice, there is  vague possibility that the photo gods have saved me? On checking Dropbox there is a folder for Lightroom in Pictures folder, that has LRCAT files etc... last dated Nov 2017, which is only a few weeks earleir than I believe the last time I used LR6, so almost up to date for my activities/cataloging.

So Iguess what I need to do is try to repoint LR to the Dropbox location with the previous LRCAT folder in, rather than move that file into the C drive, where it is less secure.

Is that easy to do, can you perhaps provide some info?

I need to shutdown shortly and resume activity tomorrow, thanks again, regards Jon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yay! Photo gods!

However, placing a catalog file in a Dropbox folder is a very poor idea, as there are many reports of Dropbox causing file corruption. Catalog files should not be in folders that are shared with the cloud, and should not be in folders that are shared via any other method. You should move your catalog file using your operating system to so more safe place, for example C:\Users\<your name>\Pictures\Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines