My photos are being imported like this.

issue-lr.PNG

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is caused by a hardware malfunction somewhere in the transfer of photos from camera card to Lightroom Classic.

You need to try different transfer hardware, as well as a different camera card, to see if you can isolate the problem. Run diagnostics on your hard disk and computer memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you assume a lot.

There seems to be nothing wrong with any hardware, I copied the sameset of files again from the card and opened in PS, works like charm, but in lightroom again - corruption.

New file for your persual - 

LR Issue of corruption.LR Issue of corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you perform a second transfer, the corruption doesn't happen. But the cause is still hardware. Lightroom Classic does not modify your original images. This is a design feature of the software, there is no feature in Lightroom Classic to change the image portion of your original files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't Lightroom causing the issue; it's your card, card reader etc. 

Are you formatting the card IN your camera instead of elsewhere? 

Is this happening on all cards or just one? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am most certain this only and LR Issue. works fine If I open the same file in IRFAN VIEW of FastStone Image Viewer.

Formatting my cards, I mostly format all my cards in Camera only.
thats a pro tip - Pratik Naik gave me once! light years ago 😉

As of now - for me just one project - and it was only one card .

Owing to the pandemic we have less work.

One more friend of ours who faced a similar issue -

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-14 at 8.38.15 PM.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I am most certain this only and LR Issue. works fine If I open the same file in IRFAN VIEW of FastStone Image Viewer."

This is irrelevant information.Your RAW files contain a JPG preview that is often not corrupted even though the actual RAW image in the file are corrupted. Irfan and FastSTone only show you the JPG Preview.

There is no feature in the Lightroom Classic software that modifies the image portion of your original RAW files. So Lightroom Classic literally cannot cause corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you turn off GPU in LR preference, any difference?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The three most common causes for this:

- bad sector(s) on the memory card

- partially broken USB cable from the reader/camera to the computer

- bad sector(s) on the hard drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As much as I want to believe you on this, It does not seem to be like that. 

I used the same files to open in a different software - Affinity, Snapseed - works Fine.

The only issue is with LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As explained above, those software do NOT read the raw data. They show you a jpeg preview of the image that is embedded in the raw file by your camera. Lightroom uses the actual raw data to generate a new preview. Since the embedded jpeg preview is much smaller than the raw data, if there is file corruption, the probability is large it is somewhere in the raw data which is why you typically see this manifest in actual raw conversion software such as Lightroom but not in File Viewers that just show you the jpeg preview. The sort of corruption you show is virtually always caused by a hardware problem. Typically a bad sector on the memory card (quite common), USB cable, card reader, hard drive sector etc. Lightroom uses standard system calls to copy the files off your memory card. It can't corrupt files by itself. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will to see do this whole excercise again, and see if it replicates.
But I most certainly doubt it.

It can not happen randomly with me and my friend, we have not come across this in ages.
We are way too careful with handling camera and cards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hint, when you set your camera to capture RAW data it also produces a jpeg preview file which is encapsulated in the raw file.

This preview file is what you see on the screen of your camera and by picture viewing software that cannot render the raw data.

That's why you need software like Lightroom, Capture 1, ON 1 photo raw etc.

Test your hardware.

If you need to see who is offering advice click on the image next to their name.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @DdeGannes - Thank you for your Hints!
I am well aware of these facts. Been a professional photographer for years, and also a Designer and UX Professional.
Not just that, I know LR in and out, been working on it for years.

People report of it being slow, mine has never slowed in years, beucase of my workflow. I have managed it in a way that it is still faster than the most.

There are some issues I have been trying to call out on the LR and for which I need to reach out the engineering team.
Hence the effort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom engineering team, do not frequent this forum, this is basically a user to user forum.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well there seems to be no resolve for this as of yet!
and niether the reoccurence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Post a bug report or feature request in the Photoshop Family Feeback forum where Adobe engineers follow those requests.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines