• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New MacBook Pro - 6 core i7 or 8 core i9

Explorer ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to get a new MacBook Pro and wondering whether anyone has insights on whether the 8 core i9 (9th gen) is work the extra cost (also comes with Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB as opposed to Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB)?

I am primarily using Lightroom Classic with a 60K+ catalog of Canon raw images.

Thanks for any guidance

rob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I doubt there's that much of a difference in performance with either the CPU or GPU upgrades. In my experience the biggest boost is generational, moving from one generation to another generation of Macs. I typically try to save money and get something a bit lower spec'd and then use the savings for the next computer so I can upgrade faster. With a generational upgrade you get many faster components, from I/O to system bus speeds, ram speeds, etc.

I'd recommend seeing if anyone has done any tests specifically for Lightroom with the different configs. App performance varies a lot depending on how well they are optimized for a video card, etc. so for some apps a CPU upgrade might help and for others a GPU upgrade might help.

Best wishes!

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines