Highlighted

New MacBook - trying to transfer Lightroom 5

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even sure where to start.  How do I get Lightroom 5 and my catalogs all moved over to my new computer?  

Topics

How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New MacBook - trying to transfer Lightroom 5

New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not even sure where to start.  How do I get Lightroom 5 and my catalogs all moved over to my new computer?  

Topics

How to, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn

I'm assuming you are referring to the original Lightroom that is now called Lightroom Classic.

I'm afraid there's probably no place to go. If you just got a new MacBook, you are probably using the Catalina Operating System. Catalina will ONLY run 64-bit applications and Lightroom (Classic) 5 was a 32-bit application which means it will not run on your new MacBook. So, moving it over is not really viable. Your images and catalog yes, the application, no.

If you wish to maintain your Lightroom environment, you will have to move up to the Photoshop Family, here is a link letting you see what options there are.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/photography/compare-plans.html

Sorry, I hope you find a good solution for your needs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  That is what I was afraid of.  Ok, so I will upgrade and do the CC Lightroom.  But how do I transfer all of my other catalogs over?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To move the catalog and photos, you need to follow these directions carefully: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

As stated above, you need to subscribe to Adobe's Photography Plan, which will let you make use of your LR 5 catalog in the new Lightroom Classic.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking at this the other day and it overwhelms me.  LOL.  I am convinced I am going to mess somthing up.  Is this possibly something they would help me do at the Apple store once they open?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jenn,

Did you look at the Lightroom Queen's instructions? It's well explained there. You do need to follow the instructions but otherwise it's very straightforward. Do you have any questions?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure the Apple store would try to help. However, their Lightroom knowledge is probably very very low, and we have heard horror stories about Apple Store and Geek squad who really don't know Lightroom and they do destructive things. The best approach is to follow the steps given.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines