new to installing LL classic and retaining my raw files

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5.7.1 and although I thought I had registered the product and tried to contact Adobe to answer a couple of questions, they prefer not to recoginzie me. 

So.  1. Do I need to delete my current version if I purchase on-line LL classic?  I do not have that many files so if they are lost not a big deal.  My current product will not recognize Nikon D850.

2.  I'm assuming, by going to month to month, the current LL classic will recgonize Nikon D850?

3.  What is the best way to add new photos to LL and retain the original raw photo.  I'm not a fan of DNG and surprisingly just read a recent article by the publisher of Photography Life with the same opinion.

4.  If I drop LL can I assume my raw files are still in place (in my windows photo directory) and only loose the adjustments made in LL?

Adobe could make life a whole easier if they would jsut address these quesitons in their own product videos.

Thanks for your help...

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

new to installing LL classic and retaining my raw files

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have LR 5.7.1 and although I thought I had registered the product and tried to contact Adobe to answer a couple of questions, they prefer not to recoginzie me. 

So.  1. Do I need to delete my current version if I purchase on-line LL classic?  I do not have that many files so if they are lost not a big deal.  My current product will not recognize Nikon D850.

2.  I'm assuming, by going to month to month, the current LL classic will recgonize Nikon D850?

3.  What is the best way to add new photos to LL and retain the original raw photo.  I'm not a fan of DNG and surprisingly just read a recent article by the publisher of Photography Life with the same opinion.

4.  If I drop LL can I assume my raw files are still in place (in my windows photo directory) and only loose the adjustments made in LL?

Adobe could make life a whole easier if they would jsut address these quesitons in their own product videos.

Thanks for your help...

TOPICS
New user

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 28, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I believe you can leave your current version in place, however do not launch it.

By" purchase on-line LL classic," I presume you mean the subscription for Lightroom?

One of the upgrades the Lightroom team does with each version, and often after each release, is to include the newest cameras and lenses. SO yes it should recognize your D850.

When you have your new version of Lightroom installed, you should be able to double clikc you older catalog. It should say that it has to upgrade your catalog. Agree and Lightroom will create an updated catalog with a name like MyCtalog - 2" 

It does not delete your old catalog, and of course does not delete your old photos themselves, which should still be in the same location where you have always kept them. Once you launch the new catalog and check that every thing looks OK, you can delete the old catalog to save space on your drive.

You do not have to convert to DNG. When you import your photos, you select Copy( not Copy as DNG ) in the top menu of the import window. Your photos will retain whatever format they have and still be copied to a new location that you specify.

And yes, if you were to stop using Lightroom altogether, your Raw files are still where you import them,Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.43.34.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.  I still do not understand where LR CC (or any LR) stores the image(s).  I have used Windows (currently 10) for years. I have stored all my raw files in the standard file folder Pictures.  Similiar to download/documents, etc.  You get the picture.  I have used Nikon Nx2 and NX-D and my raw file stays in the picture file.  I have developed my own catalog system when I save my files...which I would like to retain.  My concern is being strapped to Adobe and not having access to my original raw files.  I suppose I could buy another hard drive and copy my images first to a file just for raw images and second hard drive that is attached to adobe.  Seems like a waste of time and money.  But, Know one can tell me where my untouched raw files are maintained.  And secondly, Those that are imported to LL CC where they are kept.  And third, if I cancel my subscribtion what happens to images that have been processed through LL CC?  As pointed out LR 5.7.1 will not recognize images taken with the Nikon D-850.  I have tried to download the updates but does not seem to work and 5.7.1 version is no longer supported.  I thougt about uninstalling 5.7.1 and trying the "Trial."  Too many bad posts on the uninstall and trying to re-install 5.7.1 if I did not like the LR CC format.  Any thoughts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0
Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are new to this, it might be worth pointing out that Lightroom Classic will be installed on your computer. It will run and function on your computer just like your old version has been running. Updates will be provided via the cloud. But everything is run locally on your computer. The update process and conversion of your catalog should be effortless and seamless. Once the conversion is complete, you should be able to simply start Lightroom Classic and continue using the new program right where you left off.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 29, 2020 0
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic references your raw files from wherever they are stored on your hard drives by pathname, just like the Nikon software does. The difference is that Nikon can store your edit instructions back into the raw file while LR stores the edit instructions in the LR catalog/database. Both systems require you to "export" or "save as" to see your edits outside the respective systems.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html
For direct NEF support for the D850, you will need LR Classic 7.0 or newer (currently 9.2.1).
Alternatively you can download the current DNG converter, convert your NEF to DNG, then import the DNG into LR Classic 5.x.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 0