Highlighted

New user Lightroom classic problem with folders

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New user. I imported my pictures from photos in Mac for the first time. I apparently had no folder structure on my mac that was imported as no folders show up in Library module. I have 4600 images in a catalog but no folders. I would now like to start a new folder structure in Lightroom to move and organize those pictures into the folders I create in Lightroom. Is this possible or is this only possible now with collections?

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

New user Lightroom classic problem with folders

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New user. I imported my pictures from photos in Mac for the first time. I apparently had no folder structure on my mac that was imported as no folders show up in Library module. I have 4600 images in a catalog but no folders. I would now like to start a new folder structure in Lightroom to move and organize those pictures into the folders I create in Lightroom. Is this possible or is this only possible now with collections?

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you did, but Lightroom can import the photos (while keeping the existing folder structure, using the ADD option), or Lightroom can import the photos and create a totally new folder structure (such as subfolders of a parent folder which are automatically named using the capture date of the photos, using the COPY option and setting the Destination folder options properly). You have complete control over where the photos are to be stored.

If you imported the 4600 hundred photos into LR with no folders, that's probably a mistake. I would restore the folder structure you had previously from the backups of your photos, and start over and try importing using ADD.

Please note: Lightroom folders are not different than your operating system folders. One and the same, however, LR only shows the folders it knows about.

Please note: in my opinion, you do not want to organize by collections as the primary organizing tool. Keywords are the primary organizing tool; and you use collections for special purposes such as photo books, slideshows, web pages, and other things internal to Lightroom. Collections exist only inside of Lightroom; keywords can be shared with others if desired.

In addition, I strongly recommend viewing beginner tutorials at Adobe.com or on YouTube, or reading the free beginners e-book at lightroomqueen.com. Trying to figure Lightroom out by yourself is a very inefficient way to approach the task, as you have already learned.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you'll find a lot of informations about the organization of photos in Lightroom:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/rearrange-photos-dated-folders/

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/reorganize-folders-panel/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines