Highlighted

Night sky photo - different appearance in three modules of LR (library - development - slideshow)

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

acutally I work with LR classic since a while, but right now I don't know what I've done wrong or what to do.

My problem:

I took a series of 300 photos in raw of a scenery during nightfall/dusk with a transition of colors from the upper left corner (darker colors) to the lower right corner (brighter colors).

I developed one picture a bit within a range of (+/- 25) regarding lights, shadows, white and black and copied these preferences onto all other pictures of this series.

So far so good I thought - everything looks good working in the development module and even after exporting some of those photos.

But after exporting a slideshow (30 fps) of this set of photos I realized that the color-transition from the upper left to the lower right corner of the sky looks everything but smooth as in the development module.

I posted this thread with three screenshots of my photo in the library-, development- and slideshow-module of LR classic where you can see the differences of color-transition of the sky.

Does anyone know why this happens or what I can do to get a slideshow with a smooth sky?

P.S.: why does the same photo look more saturated and less pale in the library-module (1st photo) than in the development-module (2nd photo)?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Night sky photo - different appearance in three modules of LR (library - development - slideshow)

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

acutally I work with LR classic since a while, but right now I don't know what I've done wrong or what to do.

My problem:

I took a series of 300 photos in raw of a scenery during nightfall/dusk with a transition of colors from the upper left corner (darker colors) to the lower right corner (brighter colors).

I developed one picture a bit within a range of (+/- 25) regarding lights, shadows, white and black and copied these preferences onto all other pictures of this series.

So far so good I thought - everything looks good working in the development module and even after exporting some of those photos.

But after exporting a slideshow (30 fps) of this set of photos I realized that the color-transition from the upper left to the lower right corner of the sky looks everything but smooth as in the development module.

I posted this thread with three screenshots of my photo in the library-, development- and slideshow-module of LR classic where you can see the differences of color-transition of the sky.

Does anyone know why this happens or what I can do to get a slideshow with a smooth sky?

P.S.: why does the same photo look more saturated and less pale in the library-module (1st photo) than in the development-module (2nd photo)?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 30, 2020 0
Tony_See LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at the last line of your post, to which I have added the following: hope this helps Mike.

"This is pretty normal. One thing to realize is that as mentioned above the color space in Develop is different - it is a linear gamma version of prophotoRGB that is unique to Lightroom but that is not a real issue as long as the color is inside the display gamut and either adobeRGb or prophotoRGB. Most important is that the print module renders from the adobeRGB low res preview jpegs. The second (and probably most important in this case) is that the scaling algorithm is different. The jpeg preview in print is scaled I believe by bicubic scaling from the jpeg data but most importantly, the averaging of the pixels happens in gamma corrected space. In Develop, the raw file is subsampled to lower resolution and then scaled in the linear space to the again lower display resolution. This results in a mathematically different result in high detail areas such as the colored leaves. This can lead to the Develop preview looking crisper and more saturated in the areas with lots of color detail as well as crisper in sharpness than the preview in Library or Print."
unquote

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0