• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the BETA version for some time and I did not see this problem until I installed the released version of LR 4

The problem is that I cannot edit the images using my plugis from NIK software. ( I bought the complete collection about 3 months ago)

In the Beta version it was still OK.

Only the export plugin works (HDR from nik)

Also when I try to install the plugin again it only shows that it is compatible with LR3.

I just bought LR4 (since it worked in the BETA version)

Hope they will fix this soon. I also sent a message to NIK software.

anyone else has seen this problem

regards

Andre

I use MAC OS-X 10.7.3

NIK plugins are the latest versions available.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

You're right about that. Regardless, at least Adobe has a fix now. The LR-4.1 upgrade was easy to install and has fixed the problem once and for all - I hope. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 295 Replies 295
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly the same behavior on my Mac Pro OS X 10.7.3

/Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971643?tstart=0

Oh well, I will try to d/l trial of Photoshop then and see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope there will be a slightly easier way than this. With my connection I will avoid this as long as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 32-Bit

Just tried both Silver Efex Pro 2 and Viveza 2, latest versions, and both worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Windows 7 64-bit SP1, I have all Nik plugins but none is working, I get the same message "unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected got nil)". I think it is not a Nik problem though, as any other external editor I had configured (Capture NX2 2.3.1 and FastStone MaxView 2.5) gives me the same error. More probably an Adobe problem, hope it gets solved quickly 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing the trial of Photoshop CS5 indeed cured the problem for me.

So it is not a problem of NIK Software (or the other developers), just the Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nik plugins (Color Efex 3 and Silver Efex 2), OnOne plugins (PerfectSuite) and Topaz Labs plugins (Full suite) all exhibit the same error for me, as well on Windows 7 SP1, 64Bit. Error messaging is -- "unexpected error performing command: bad argument #1 to 'lower' (string expected got nil)".

No Photoshop versions installed, only LR4 at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my NIK plugins.  They are working fine.

I did eliminate some initial crashing issues.  So hopefully all will find a simple fix to their own issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another data point:  Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.0 plug-in works for me... Win 7 Pro x64, with CS5 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 machine here.

Yesterday, as most of you here, I had this error message with any

external editor, and I posted a message in this forum. At night, before

going to bed, I installed an evaluation version of Photoshop Elements

10. This morning I opened Lightroom and, TADA!, plugins work fine! So

definitely it is an Adobe problem, LR must be missing some piece of

software that PSE has; note that I did not open PSE at all after

installing it yesterday night, so it has added the missing part during

installation.

Hope this helps Adobe engineers to solve the problem.

Il 07/03/2012 08:06, Michael Rainwater ha scritto:

>

Re: NIK plugins are not working in LR 4

created by Michael Rainwater

<http://forums.adobe.com/people/WeberPoint> in /Photoshop Lightroom/ -

View the full discussion

<http://forums.adobe.com/message/4250222#4250222

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

sarki64 wrote:

This morning I opened Lightroom and, TADA!, plugins work fine! So

definitely it is an Adobe problem, LR must be missing some piece of

software that PSE has;

What you did just changed the memory layout for Lightroom and other programs. See this thread. The bug is obviously in Lightroom in any case but this kind of dangling pointer problem may or may not cause a crash depending on the random value stored in the pointer. Kind of a lottery. I don't think that PSE has anything to do with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think LR4 install is something incomplete;

as described simply installing CS5 fixed that problem

the plugin interface seems to be a common component shared among the adobe apps

this (re-install, complete install) component and not the programs PSE, CS5, ... did the repair

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Il 07/03/2012 09:40, Samoreen ha scritto:

What you did just changed the memory layout for Lightroom and other

programs. See this thread

<http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971643?tstart=0>. The bug is obviously

in Lightroom in any case but this kind of dangling pointer problem may

or may not cause a crash depending on the random value stored in the

pointer. Kind of a lottery. I don't think that PSE has anything to do

with the problem.

Thank for your reply Samoreen. The interested thing is that changes

introduced by the installation of PSE only persist as long as you keep

it on your machine. I tried uninstalling PSE and the error in LR is back

again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sarki64 wrote:

The interested thing is that changes introduced by the installation of PSE only persist as long as you keep it on your machine. I tried uninstalling PSE and the error in LR is back again.

This is consistent with what I explained. Installing PSE changes the way the memory is organized because some additional programs are loaded in memory upon startup. So LR is loaded at another address which may or may not have consequences on the way the bug manifests itself.

This is just my opinion as a former developer. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe installing PSE or PS changes something else in the Common Files | Adobe folder (a missing file as you suggested) but I doubt. In that case, the problem would hit every user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is interesting to me that for sarki64, installing PSE10 solved the issue.  I uninstalled and reinstalled PSE10 and the problem persists for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with Adobe support.  They said it is an issue with NIK and not LR4.  I suggested they read the forums out there

and see what the public is seeing on this issue.  They, again, said it is not LR4 and that if I wanted to call tech support with NIK and then

call Adobe support, they would have a conversation with them!

I give up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the complete NIK collection and Alien Softwares Exposures4.  I will wait to see what happens before upgrading to LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off phone with NIK tech support.  They logged on to my computer and reinstalled everything again.  They said it appears that it is an Adobe issue and it seems to be the case.  I don't know what all he did, but he was all over my computer and checked installation, etc.  Was very thorough. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was Nik able to correct the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ymc226:  NO, they said it was an Adobe issue as far as they could tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed!

under Mac OS X 10.7.3

had no other adobe product installed then Lightroom;

after upgrade to LR4 Nik Plugins did not work anymore.

then I installed a Demo Adobe CS5

now the Nik Plugins work again;

I think during the installation of CS5 the Plugin-definition area is touched and so repaird

it's not a NIK Software but an Adobe Problem

cheers

/

Karl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used LR 3 and upgraded to LR4 on Widows 7 (64 bits). I had no issue launching Nick soft (I did not update to their yesterday's editions. I have the previous ones). I was affraid that this stops running when I delete LR3. But I did it anyway (for the fun), and it does work with no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is more of a software manufacturer problem than Adobe's, although I can't understand why NIK software worked in the Beta version and not the final product - are they THAT much different? I'm also having the same problem with my Topaz software. I can still use my NIK and Topaz edits in LR-3. I can also take a photo from LR-4 and insert it into a NIK or Topaz icon and get the photo to come up in it. I make the adjustment, and converts in LR-4. Go figure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the suggestion of someone, I installed the trial version of Elements 10 to see if it made a difference since I do not have or use photoshop.  I only use LR4.  Well, after downloading the trial and installing it (not even open it yet), I went to LR4 and all of the NIK software is working fine!

This tells me Adobe is the one who needs to fix this problem.  What a shame to have to download one of their products and take up hard drive space just to have LR4 work properly with NIK but I guess it will be the temporary solution until someone finds the fix or admits the error and who needs to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I said before, maybe it's all just a plot to get us to buy the latest version of Elements; seems to be the only thing that works right now. I can't even get NIK to accept the Product keys they gave me when I uninstalled, then re-installed Viveza 2.  Amazing. LR-3 was working just fine. They could have waited until this problem was fixed. And if they didn't realize there was a problem, it's obvious it wasn't thoroughly tested before launching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines