• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon Z6 not supported by Lightroom CC

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried importing raw files to lightroom, it recognized the files as the images were shown on display but when I hit import button, it won't go through. I realized Nikon Z6 was not yet supported so I tried downloading the DNG converter 11.1 then hooked the camera through USB cable but files won't show on my computer.

Can someone suggest another way to go through this? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Hi All,

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom CC 2.1 & Lightroom Classic CC 8.1.

This update includes the support for Nikon Z6 camera.

Here's the list of what's new in this release:

Lightroom CC 2.1: New features summary for the October 2018 release of Lightroom CC

Lightroom Classic CC 8.1: New features summary for the October 2018 release of Lightroom Classic CC

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aquaman,

Unfortunately, Nikon Z6 is not compatible with Lightroom and with any version of DNG converter. So there's no way to import the raw images in Lightroom. You can use Nikon software utility and check if you can save your images in any other format.

Also, there's no ETA defined.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Nikon Z6 is not compatible with Lightroom and with any version of DNG converter. So there's no way to import the raw images in Lightroom.

Don't think that info is up to date, Mohit.

The DNG converter 11.1 (Beta) supports the Z6.

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

So it's possible to convert Z6 Raw images to DNG format and import the DNGs into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JohnWaller

That's right and thank you so much for correcting me here. DNG Converter (11.1) Beta with preliminary camera support for various models. Aquaman63 Yes, it's possible to convert Nikon Z6 images into DNG format and import in Lightroom.

Here's the feedback link: DNG Converter (11.1) Beta with preliminary camera support for various models | Photoshop Family Cust...

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That you guys, I did download the DNG converter unfortunately, the files won't show on my computer, the camera is hooked up directly to mac via USB cable. It's like my computer don't recognize the Z6 or the xcd card, I have learned form others that it worked and some don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately, the files won't show on my computer

Do you mean you can't see them using Finder? Or you cannot see them using the DNG converter?

If you get an error message, what is the exact wording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aquaman63  wrote

That you guys, I did download the DNG converter unfortunately, the files won't show on my computer, the camera is hooked up directly to mac via USB cable. It's like my computer don't recognize the Z6 or the xcd card, I have learned form others that it worked and some don't.

Don't you even see them in finder? You will not be able to load them in Lightroom but you should see the files in finder and be able to copy them onto your hard disk to do the dng converter thing.

Also, I highly recommend using a XQD card adapter instead of a USB cable for reasons of speed and compatibility. The cheapest is made by Sony (https://www.adorama.com/soqdasb1j.html​) and is super fast (easily does > 400 MByte/s importing into Lightroom) on my Mac with Z7 files. You do not need card readers with XQD cards, these adapters work great.

Lastly, one trick that worked before the Z7 was supported was to upload the raw files to https://lightroom.adobe.com . The web version of Lightroom actually supported the Z7 way before Classic did and I would not be surprised if this is true for the Z6 too. The files would get downloaded into Lightroom Classic (if set up to Sync) and be magically supported even if they would not get imported directly. This is only feasible if you have a fast internet connection. If you don't I would just do the dng converter thing.

Love my Z7 by the way. I am sure you'll like your Z6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Jao, thanks for your reply. I find it strange that I couldn't see them in finder and that makes me frustrated. I just took a bunch of pictures with my family and friends , excited to see the result only to find that I won't be able to import them. I'll try to use XQD card reader, I hope it will work, otherwise I'll just wait for adobe update. Thanks again. Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does finder not show a DCIM folder? It is possible that Apple needs to

update its own support for the camera. If you connect through a XQD adapter

your computer will treat the card as just another removable hard drive and

you should be able to see all files on the card regardless of whether the

operating system supports the camera that took them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, finder doesn't show DCIM folder, that's why I find it strange, I have read from other forum though about 2 or 3 persons, that they have the same issue as mine. I'll buy an XQD card  reader and let's see what happens. Thanks man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks man!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aquaman63, in case you haven't seen it, Camera Raw has now been updated to support the Z6, meaning it should work in Lightroom also. See Cameras supported by Camera Raw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks AJMrly,

It was a great news that I was able to finally imported the files to LR, now i can see the results from Z6.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We're happy to announce the release of Lightroom CC 2.1 & Lightroom Classic CC 8.1.

This update includes the support for Nikon Z6 camera.

Here's the list of what's new in this release:

Lightroom CC 2.1: New features summary for the October 2018 release of Lightroom CC

Lightroom Classic CC 8.1: New features summary for the October 2018 release of Lightroom Classic CC

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for keeping Lightroom (Classic in my case) up to date.

Re support for Nikon Z 6: i noticed that this does not (yet) include corrections for the few Z lenses (24-70 mm f/4 in my case). I understand that Lightroom applies the corrections saved to the NEF file but these are far from perfect (Lightroom supplied corrections are usually fantastic). Is this planned for an upcoming/next update? Please! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteffenB70  wrote

Re support for Nikon Z 6: i noticed that this does not (yet) include corrections for the few Z lenses (24-70 mm f/4 in my case). I understand that Lightroom applies the corrections saved to the NEF file but these are far from perfect (Lightroom supplied corrections are usually fantastic). Is this planned for an upcoming/next update? Please! 😉

First, you're not talking to Adobe in this forum. You are talking to other Lightroom users, and we don't know what will be in the next (or future) releases. Furthermore, Adobe never announces this in advance, so even if you were talking to Adobe, they wouldn't tell you.

Normally, new lenses are added to the list of supported lenses in a release or two, but there's no guarantee either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for speaking on behalf of Adobe ;-).

I posted this as a reply to Mohit's message (who according to the label should be from Adobe?) - is this not visible to you (i can see that my response includes "in response to Mohit Goyal"...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably less than 1% of the messages in this forum might be from Adobe employees, and they never answer questions of the type you asked, about what is going to be in the next release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for lecturing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteffenB70  wrote

Hi,

Thanks for keeping Lightroom (Classic in my case) up to date.

It is doubtful Adobe will build lens profiles fore the Z cameras using Z lenses as they are already built into the camera, as with all mirrorless camera/lens combos that I know of.

ZCam-Lens.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Just Shoot Me: this would be a pity since the built-in profiles are underwhelming, not even close to the quality of what Adobe has been provided to a countless number of (partially exotic) Nikon lenses. Correction of light vignetting and distortion are less then perfect and at the moment require picture-by-picture correction (which especially for the 24-70 zoom is a pain - different values for different foci and different apertures...). There is hope that Adobe adds this to what is quickly becoming a major new platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is hope that Adobe adds this to what is quickly becoming a major new platform.

You probably need to submit a feature request to Adobe, not in this forum. Please go to: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community and submit your request there. Also please give examples of where the built-in manufacturer's profile is not sufficient.

The reason most mirrorless cameras use the manufacturer's profiles is that the cameras have to operate through such a wide range of conditions (focal lengths) that the photos would be useless and extremely distorted without the manufacturer's lens corrections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ dj_paige: Thanks for suggesting, had already done this.

I do not understand the second part. Nikon is advertising its huge family of lenses all built for their DSLR but which can now be used with an adapter on the Z cameras. I would have thought that the range of focal lengths of their DSLRs is currently vastly superior to their mirrorless system - in fact, i bet it is larger than any other system... yet Adobe has all those beautiful lens profiles for the Nikkor lens range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally deleted lightroom yesterday from my laptop and desktop. I haven't used it from nearly a month because of the poor compatibility with Nikon Z6 and I was waiting for a fix after they sent me a message saying "yes there's indeed a problem in the presets and the compatibility to Nikon Z6 and we will fix that in next updates and we will add this to the known issues". Can't be more vague than "next updates" yesterday I updated to 8.2 and guess what? Same problem nothing changed. Note that other editing software doesn't have any of those problems!

And guess what, they asked me to pay half a year because I'am no longer subscribing as if they are providing me with a functional program and I just do it on purpose. I said no.

I'll go and ask Nikon to fix the Adobe lightroom color balance / presets problem too...

I'am using Capture One 12 right now. If you have the courage to learn a new hardcore tool so go with Capture One bro its 100 times faster than Lightroom and way much better when you know its tricks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteffenB70  wrote

@Just Shoot Me: this would be a pity since the built-in profiles are underwhelming, not even close to the quality of what Adobe has been provided to a countless number of (partially exotic) Nikon lenses. Correction of light vignetting and distortion are less then perfect and at the moment require picture-by-picture correction (which especially for the 24-70 zoom is a pain - different values for different foci and different apertures...). There is hope that Adobe adds this to what is quickly becoming a major new platform.

Then I suggest you build your own lens profiles. Nikon may update the built in profiles as the camera becomes more main stream.

After all it is Nikon that has included the profiles that you fine so underwhelming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines