• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nikon Z7 jpegs and NEFs not recognized by LR for import

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time digitally scanning film negatives (had been using Epson 850 flatbed). I scanned my Portra color negs using my Nikon Z7. I shot both jpegs and NEF (raw). When I tried importing the files into Lightroom (latest Mac OS and latest LR), I see the images in the import window, but they are grayed out and the Import button is similarly not available. I have had no problems with importing Z7 "regular" originals into LR.  The files are appropriately .jpg and .NEF tagged, and the Mac file system lists them as the proper "Kind".

I tried opening the jpegs in Photoshop and saving them as jpegs. This seems to make LR happy, and I can import them (though this must be individually done for every jpeg). I can then invert with NLP plugin.  This, though, is a clumsy  and time consuming process.

The NEFs are another issue, since there is no option in PS to save as NEFs, I'd have to go with TiFFs. I tried contacting Adobe, but the wait time for Chat and phone is over an hour, and who knows if I would ever get in touch with anyone who understands this somewhat "unusual" issue.

I have verified that the files are the appropriate file type using Get Info.  I can also open them in Photoshop (as noted above), and in Nikon's own raw converter.  But LR is a no-go for some reason.  Attached is what I get when I try Syncing the folder in LR- it see the files but they won't import.

Has anyone run into a similar problem, and hopefully resolved it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

I used the CC App to uninstall and reinstall LR, that looks to have resolved the problem.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Z7, or a Z7ii?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

GoldingD_0-1604608853859.png

GoldingD_1-1604608853860.png

GoldingD_2-1604608853860.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not use the attach file option. Many members absolutly refuse to open attachments. 

Instead use the insert photo biutton.

Please use the Insert Photo button.png

m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a  screenshot of your LrC Import screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, when importing, is the SD card in a card reader, or in the camera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Files are on the computer in a folder, having been downloaded from the card to the folder.  This is the way I have been doing it for years, never had a problem like this with thousands of files and importing into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this isn't the Z 7 II, which isn't yet supported by LR (or Camera Raw in Photoshop):

Are you using a non-Nikon lens when doing the digital scanning but a Nikon lens otherwise?  There was a bug with the Z5 and third-party lenses just fixed in LR 10, perhaps this is related.

Regardless, upload a problem .nef and a problem .jpg to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here. We can probably figure out what's going wrong pretty quickly.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the Z7 I, not the II.  The lens is the  latest Nikon 60mm micro.

I will upload files.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the CC App to uninstall and reinstall LR, that looks to have resolved the problem.

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I used the CC App to uninstall and reinstall LR, that looks to have resolved the problem."

Glad you resolved the problem. It is rare that reinstalling ever fixes an issue!

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines