• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Graphics Acceleration v8.4

Participant ,
Aug 13, 2019 Aug 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from LR 8.3.1 to 8.4 and support for my Graphics Card acceleration seems to have disappeared. I'm sure it was working under previous version but under Edit/Preferences/Performance, the graphics acceleration is now marked as "off" with a message that my system isn't supported. Checking out the list of Graphics cards it seems that my GeForce GTX 750ti card is now no longer supported by latest LR version. So, the promised improvements in perofmance that I've been waiting for aren't available to me unless I shell out for a new card - unless of course any helpful soul on here can point me in the right direction please? It's also worth noting that the graphics card IS supported in the latest version of Photoshop CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 15, 2019 Aug 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Win 10 (fully updated), on a fast i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 card running DirectX 12 and latest drivers and I get the greyed out box for GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi stepbar,

Since it sounds like the OpenGL issues should not be affecting you, I'd like to try to figure out what is going on in your case. We have tested the 1060 in house with Windows 10 and it passed all tests.

Can you send me a couple things from your machine? If you do not want to share them on the forum, please e-mail me: dfranzen at adobe dot com.

Here are generic instructions for collecting the log and report:

In the Logs folder (see instructions below) you should find log files with names beginning with "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic Log Latest." The v1 log file might be helpful.

Here are some generic instructions for finding these logs:

IMPORTANT: You must QUIT the host application BEFORE you collect the log files.

The best way to collect a log about a bug is to do the following:

Quit the host app.

Re-launch the host app.

Perform the minimum number of steps required to reproduce the problem.

Quit the host app again.

Now collect the log files.

On Windows the log location is:

%APPDATA%\Adobe\CameraRaw\Logs

One shortcut to get to this folder on Windows is to...

Tap the Windows key

Enter "Run"

Enter "%APPDATA%\Adobe\CameraRaw\Logs"

For example:

C:\Users\tester\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Logs

On Windows also please include a dxdiag report. (It does not matter when you generate the report relative to when you reproduce the bug.)

1. Tap the Windows key on your keyboard or click on the Windows button in the task bar.

2. Type in dxdiag (this does a search for the program)

3. Hit the Enter key

4. Wait for the DxDiag window to appear

5. When it's enabled click the Save All Information button

6. Save the DxDiag.txt file and submit it when reporting problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dfranzen_adobe, I'm having a similar problem.

Win10 fully updated (Insider Fast Ring), 16GB RAM, i7-8700K and a single GTX760 on driver 431.70 (clean install). Integrated GPU is disabled.

I have basic acceleration (display) but the option for editing is greyed out, but as the GTX760 is cited on the suggested system requirements of the troubleshooting​, I don't understand why is that so:

According to GTX760 Nvidia website, it supports DirectX 12 and OpenGL 4.3 - LR documentation says it needs 3.3:

Dxdiag confirms it supports DirectX 12:

The CameraRAW log you mention gives an error during "compute pipeline state" and references GPU3:

GPU primary driver version: 26.21.14.3170

GPU device count: 1

GPU device names: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

GPU3 white list: no

GPU3 black list: no

GPU3 prev digest: 807070CFA168EB08A2B8B04BCE21A749

GPU3 new digest: 434B487DDC16A9B3744E03ADBF0720BA

Need to run gpu self tests : True.

New/changed sanity digest, so zapping any TempDisableGPU3 files

GPU Init Status (part 1): I2_GPU2

GPU3 Hard Status Result (part 1): unknown

GPU3 Soft Status Result (part 1): success

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760: Building compute pipeline state (1/246)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760: Building compute pipeline state (2/246)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760: Building compute pipeline state (3/246)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760: Building compute pipeline state (4/246)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760: Building compute pipeline state (5/246)

*** GL Error: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057): CreateComputePipelineState ***

*** GL Error: CreateComputePipelineState ***

WML: Try use GPU? yes

WML: GPU attempt failed -- trying CPU

Intel Compiler: yes

Intel Compiler Version: 1900.4

Intel Compiler Build Date: 20190417

Windows cr_gpu_view backing scale: h=  1.0000, v=  1.0000

first frame index is: 0

GPU Init Status (part 2): I2_GPU2

GPU3 Hard Status Result (part 2): fail_build_shaders

GPU3 Soft Status Result (part 2): success

Lightroom's System Info also shows some curious information:

(...)

Adapter #1: Vendor : 10de

Device : 1187

Subsystem : 28471462

Revision : a1

Video Memory : 2007

Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414

Device : 8c

Subsystem : 0

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 0

(...)   

Direct2DEnabled: false

(...)  

GL_VENDOR: NVIDIA Corporation

GL_VERSION: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 431.70

GPUDeviceEnabled: false

OGLEnabled: true

(...)

I already tried the whole troubleshoot. Any ideas on how to activate the GPU acceleration for editing? Thanks in Advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing this info.

That specific recommendation is out of date and does not apply to the new "GPU for image processing" feature. We are working with the documentation team to update that page. Sorry for the confusion. As can see, this GPU is working for the older, "GPU for display" feature. That recommendation was written for older versions of Lightroom.

I have not been able to test the GTX 760 myself, but the results you posted suggest that this generation of GPUs are not able to support GPU for image processing. The 700 series was introduced by Nvidia in 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2019 Aug 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks for the feedback. Yeah, it's old but since I rarely game on PC, didn't have a reason for upgrade. If you need any more files/logs, don't hesitate to inform me, it will be a pleasure to help.

I'm looking forward for this documentation update, as I don't need nor have the money to spend on a 600+ card like a 2080, so would be great to know which medium/budget cards are compatible with this feature. Thanks once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I just found this video on youtube. The guy has a Nvidia GTX 755M with 1GB VRAM on a Mac and it does support image processing GPU acceleration (check video around 3:30).

What's New in Lightroom Classic Ver 8.4 - YouTube

It's really strange that the GTX 760 with 2GB of VRAM doesn't have the image processing GPU acceleration on Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to see if there is newer driver available from Nvidia for your GPU, or if the user with the GTX 755M has a different driver installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

estepbar  wrote

I'm running Win 10 (fully updated), on a fast i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, Nvidia 1060 card running DirectX 12 and latest drivers and I get the greyed out box for GPU acceleration.

Also, your System Information. In LR click on /Help/System Information/Copy/

Paste that info in a reply, including info from first line down to just before or after the plug-in info. In your case, most interested in verifying LR and WIN versions, but especially the GPU info

thinking of solution 3 in: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

If that small section shows OpenGl in use as opposed to DirectX, that is a problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon, I've upgraded to Windows 10 this morning and basic support for my graphics card is there from LR8.4. I didn't really want the hassle ot changing just yet but it's done now. This episode has enabled me to get to sort out my LR and C1 catalogs. I think Adobe should have been upfront with people about the effect that this would have on their systems and users would then have had the chance to be positive about which solution they wanted, rather than have to spend a day or two waiting for reactions from helpful Adobe forums people in order to sort out the mess. I'm afraid the Adobe CC subscription way of working could give Adobe a false sense of security rather than a fully paid software solution. C1 is fully paid...

Thanks again to all here for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

, enjoy.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all members noting that this option is shown in preferences as OFF

Read the Adobe GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ web page, it has been updated:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

If LR no longer thinks your GPU is capable it now defaults to off, as opposed to Auto (and you can also select Custom)

From that page (emphasis mine) :

GPU acceleration in Lightroom Classic

Introduced in Lightroom Classic 8.4 (August 2019 release)

In Lightroom Classic, the current status of GPU acceleration is displayed just below the GPU name. Your system may automatically support basic or full acceleration. If your system automatically supports basic acceleration, you can enable full acceleration using the Custom option.

Acceleration may also be turned off automatically if your system does not support it or due to an error. If acceleration is turned off and an error message appears, it could be due to GPU hardware, driver version, or operating system not meeting the system requirements.

You can select one of the following options from the Use Graphics Processor drop-down to turn the GPU acceleration on/off.

Auto

Select this option to automatically determine the correct level of GPU support based on your system's hardware and operating system configuration. This is the default option.

Custom

Select this option to choose the level of GPU support manually.

Use GPU for Display

Use GPU for Image Processing

Off

Select this option to turn off the GPU acceleration.

/EdDIT/struck thru as I can not prove

?EDIT/ Ah yes, I misread

/ And, I may or may not have stumbled upon some bit of info related to Display (monitor) capability an how this preference may not be supported (as in not $k or 5K). Or perhaps I read something wrong

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And speaking of GPU Blacklists, from:Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Image 6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone and disabled GPU switching in the BIOS since it looked like it was seeing only the intel GPU and not the NVIDIA GPU even though the NVIDA was configured to be the GPU for all the Adobe apps.  Right now PS does see and use the GPU but photoshop and ACR do not!!!   LR doesn't even see the GPU as existingPS_GPU.JPG
LR_GPU.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another interesting reply because Photoshop sees my Graphics card and I am able to use the Graphics processor, but Lightroom, same as you, doesn't see it.

I can only say that it was working before 8.4 and doesn't now, irrespecetive of the fact that I had an older driver installed - that's a red herring and I've installed the new one now anyway. I'm not savvy enough to fiddle in the BIOS but all I know is that I had something working and Adobe seem to have helped disabled it on the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NigelD1  wrote

Another interesting reply because Photoshop sees my Graphics card and I am able to use the Graphics processor, but Lightroom, same as you, doesn't see it.

I can only say that it was working before 8.4 and doesn't now, irrespecetive of the fact that I had an older driver installed - that's a red herring and I've installed the new one now anyway. I'm not savvy enough to fiddle in the BIOS but all I know is that I had something working and Adobe seem to have helped disabled it on the latest update.

Photoshop and Lightroom might as well be Apple and Oranges. How the GPU is used in PS has no relation to use in LR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I took your last comment about this on board, I mentioned it because Jon reports the same thing happening. I also still come back to the fact the it was working in LR8.3.1 and not in 8.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that is missing, one little tidbit as to previous version of Lightroom accepting Graphics Acceleration for various cards is that Adobe has tightened up the inspection by Lightroom for GPU compatability.

Cards that supposidly worked for the simpiler Graphic Processing acceleration. May not work for the more aggressive use of the GPU in v8.4

And, it looks like, Adobe did some testing, found issues with older cards, did not solve the issues (at least yet) and included them (apparently not documented to public) as vebotten in LR

So the new version is more pickey. Remeber that turning use of Grphics Processing off used to be (in v 8.3.1 in fact) a common diagnostic for when things go wrong, as in not all GPU's are equal despite LR allowing your card.

Also, some cards might still work for what they are calling BASIC use, but not full, and if your card just gets BASIC and you are not running high def, why use this option? Over at the feedback site, on userr got an artifact, turning this option off fixed, so still an issue with some GPU's

P.S. see the Feedback page, some problems posted:

Lightroom Classic 8.4: GeForce GTX 750ti - Graphics Card not supported | Photoshop Family Customer C...

Lightroom Classic displayed magenta anomalies on image in develop module | Photoshop Family Customer...

Version 8.4: Frequent visual glitches in develop module after update – adjusting sliders/zooming out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My laptop GPU (NVIDIA Quadro 1000M) was detected by LR 8.3.1. It should at least be recognized by LR CC 8.4 and be usable in basic mode/for display, right? Can I expect a fix for this? The latest driver for my GPU is version 377.83. I already opened the laptop to check if the GPU is replaceable (as with other business laptops) but in my case it is soldered to the mainboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/neutron+storm  wrote

My laptop GPU (NVIDIA Quadro 1000M) was detected by LR 8.3.1. It should at least be recognized by LR CC 8.4 and be usable in basic mode/for display, right? Can I expect a fix for this? The latest driver for my GPU is version 377.83. I already opened the laptop to check if the GPU is replaceable (as with other business laptops) but in my case it is soldered to the mainboard.

In the performance tab of preferences, what is stated as current status of GPU  acceleration?

Disabled?

Basic?

Full?

Also, what is your OS?

And read :

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ 

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-8-4/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg36166309  wrote

In the performance tab of preferences, what is stated as current status of GPU  acceleration?

Disabled?

Basic?

Full?

Also, what is your OS?

My status is Disabled, OS is Windows 10. The card is not detected - though it is in LR 8.3.1. The recommended graphics card on the FAQ page is one architecture step later than mine (GTX 760 is Kepler, Quadro 1000M is Fermi). Still it both supports OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 12. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/neutron+storm  wrote

davidg36166309   wrote

Disabled?

Basic?

Full?

Also, what is your OS?

My status is Disabled, OS is Windows 10. The card is not detected - though it is in LR 8.3.1. The recommended graphics card on the FAQ page is one architecture step later than mine (GTX 760 is Kepler, Quadro 1000M is Fermi). Still it both supports OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 12. 

One thing that gets overlooked, and this is because Adobe failed to document is GPU’s that used to patch the acceptance by LR, may in v8.4 get rejected, on purpose. I noticed that in this Lightroom Queen link:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/whats-new-in-lightroom-classic-8-4/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines